New WSM 22.5, Lump or Briquettes?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

countrysmoke

Fire Starter
Original poster
Jan 12, 2011
Sandyville, West Virginia
I just ordered a WSM 22.5 today, it should be here in a couple of days. I've been smoking for a couple of years now, but only on a cheap SFB. Anybody have any tips on what fuel to use i would greatly appreciate it. I really cant wait to fire it up, Ive heard such good things about the wsm.

I use Royal Oak lump in my WSM with great results. Never tried the briquettes mostly because of the use of binders to form them. I know plenty of folks use them and like them. Most say the Kingsford comp bags are better than the traditional blue bags FWIW.

I use both in my WSM.  It really depends on how long of a smoke I plan on OR what I happen to have on hand.  If I'm doing a long smoke I definately use a quality hardwood lump

Thanks fellas, I figure I'll just do some smokes with both to get some knowledge of it, I just thought I would collect as much information as i can before it gets here in a couple of days. THANKS AGAIN GUYS

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky