New wireless barbecue thermometer set

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

waygu tim

Fire Starter
Original poster
Jul 17, 2012
goshen indiana
Hi all good evening just wanted to let you guys know that I finally gave in and bought the MEATER plus bundle and I’m so excited and happy to try them after seeing them in countless YouTube videos going to replace the wireless thermometer set that I bought when I got my start in The barbecue hobby D928D589-0914-45ED-9269-51BEA2E6E867.jpeg

Let us know how they work for you.
Also how much heat can they take, would like to get one for my Santa Maria rotisserie, but it looks like the handle would melt over a wood fire.
Al

Let us know how they work for you.
Also how much heat can they take, would like to get one for my Santa Maria rotisserie, but it looks like the handle would melt over a wood fire.
Al

SmokinAl SmokinAl I have the Meater Plus as well and here's the specs from the website:

SPECIFICATIONS ▲
Probe Specs
  • Bluetooth LE 4.0 wireless connection
  • Maximum internal temperature: 212°F (meat)
  • Maximum ambient temperature: 527°F (cooker)
  • Stainless steel and ceramic construction
  • Water resistant and easy to clean
  • Dishwasher safe
  • Rechargeable: Over 24 hours of continuous cooking
  • Dimensions: 130mm length and 6mm diameter
Charger Specs
  • Built-in Bluetooth repeater extends range up to 165ft
  • Store and charge your MEATER probe
  • Magnetic backing: Attach anywhere
  • Charges MEATER up to 100 times with one AAA battery
  • Real wood to match any kitchen or outdoor decor
  • LED indicator to show battery state
  • Dimensions: 157mm L x 37mm W x 28mm H
App Requirement
  • iPhone and iPad apps for iOS 10.3 and later
  • Android app for versions 5.0 and later

Isn't a Santa Maria open though? I've ran mine inside my grill during a reverse sear and it survived.

Well looking at Al's post again....He's talking about using on the rotiss. So thinking that might would not get into the over 500 degree limits. Just going on what Meater has posted on their site.
Jim

Reactions: kilo charlie
Well looking at Al's post again....He's talking about using on the rotiss. So thinking that might would not get into the over 500 degree limits. Just going on what Meater has posted on their site.
Jim

Yea I understand.. It's not like it's a cheap version that if melted could be replaced cheaply.. if I had my rotisserie set up I'd be willing to give it a go though.

Reactions: JLeonard
Yea I understand.. It's not like it's a cheap version that if melted could be replaced cheaply.. if I had my rotisserie set up I'd be willing to give it a go though.
I know.....I keep looking at it and trying to justify to myself getting it. Would love to not have to work around a bunch of wires. LOL.
Jim

Reactions: kilo charlie
I just use my Thermapen with the rotisserie when I think it’s getting done. But it would be cool to have a remote therm, that would take the heat.
Al

What do you think the temps are that it would have to endure? 527F is pretty hot
I think when the flames come up & hit the meat the temps will be higher than 527, but it would only be for a few seconds. It wouldn’t be a constant 527 for the whole cook.!
Al

I think when the flames come up & hit the meat the temps will be higher than 527, but it would only be for a few seconds. It wouldn’t be a constant 527 for the whole cook.!
Al
I sorta hijacked this fella's thread ... would it be possible to see a video of your set up in action? I'm not familiar with what you've got going on over there but if you have a general idea how long something takes and you put the probe in say in the last 30 minutes.. the app on your phone will tell you if the probe is getting too hot.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky