New vertical brick smoker - need advice

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

GeorgeP

Original poster
Dec 1, 2020
Just built this great vertical smoker. Had custom metal fabrication done as well. I am using a GasOne 200,000 BTU propane banjo burner which has proven awesome for maintaining heat. It is, after all a large space. I thought the best way to provide smoke was through burning chips using a large pan from BBQguys. The issue is that it ended up providing minimal smoke, plus I was having to add wood frequently to maintain smoke. I could build a fire in the bottom but thought this would be better in terms of a constant temp. It cooked fine, but I needed a better smoke ring. I did end up taking the top off the smoker box and added some larger chunks and that worked better, but any ideas would be welcome

Attachments

• IMG_1987 2.JPG
    IMG_1987 2.JPG
    176.2 KB · Views: 119
  • IMG_1986.JPG
    IMG_1986.JPG
    209.8 KB · Views: 128
  • IMG_1985.JPG
    IMG_1985.JPG
    171.5 KB · Views: 132
  • IMG_1983.JPG
    IMG_1983.JPG
    130.6 KB · Views: 124
  • 2020-12-01_14-01-47.png
    2020-12-01_14-01-47.png
    52.1 KB · Views: 117
wouldn't worry to much about the smoke ring it does nothing for flavor, i would grab a amnps tube or two and use them for smoke, but that's me.

Reactions: GeorgeP
wouldn't worry to much about the smoke ring it does nothing for flavor, i would grab a amnps tube or two and use them for smoke, but that's me.
Would it be ok to but the amnps 5x8 over the burner or would that chew through them too quickly? Thanks for your expertise!

n
Would it be ok to but the amnps 5x8 over the burner or would that chew through them too quickly? Thanks for your expertise!
not sure if i would put it directly over burner, maybe off to the side somewhere, keep in mind though the 5x8 tray needs more oxygen to stay lit then the tube, but give it a shot and find out.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky