New trial of chicken Italian sausage

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Armyguy2004

Fire Starter
Original poster
Aug 8, 2019
this time, I used chicken trimmings, i suspect it’s manly chicken thigh meat.
So I used 750g of chicken trimmings, and 250g of oil emulsion. My goal is to try to see if this recipe would also work for fresh sausage. this is an original smoked polish sausage from the green book
The result as

F94A3AFD-BD64-49AB-9628-563FECC27049.jpeg
A479768A-5301-467E-B736-67233BEF67A3.jpeg
62273EBA-5701-4F3D-8124-80176BE211D3.jpeg

As, I have also tried them with oven bake method.
When pan frying, the skin shrunk, and the stuffing expanded, resulting a not very nice looking.
Before oven baking, I boiled the sausage in 80c water first for about 10-15 minutes, and the overall look is great.
I wonder, if the pan frying ones would look equally great, when I boil them first?

Also, pan frying ones tasted much better than the oven baking ones.

They look great.

What dont you like about the look when cookin them?

Yes, the vast majority of fresh sausages are poached in hot (not boiling) water, and then browned on a grill, or skillet -- like brats. Italian, white kielbasa, klobasa, thuringer brats, etc, are done this way, typically. Your pictures sure look tasty!!

Reactions: Armyguy2004
If you use chicken thighs and the skin , you won't need the added oil . Add liquid of choice and NFDM as needed . Chicken sausage will expand , depending on the amount of liquid in the mix , it will expand alot . Make sure to give the casings a good clean and soak . A good twist and dry on the casing will keep it intact when you fry it . No need to poach , unless that's what you want to do .

This is fresh chicken Italian .
20190720_185206.jpg 20190720_191216.jpg

ok guys! thank you for all your help!
as for today, i have successfully done my best chicken sausage!
as i read above, i have taken the advice of not putting in any water.
today, i used 1# of chicken trimmings, i still suspect that they are actually thigh meat, 1 egg white, and some oat.
oh my god, i cant believe how good they are.
i have put them into the fridge for blooming, and tomorrow, i will be poach, not boil them at 80c for 10 minutes, then pan fry or bbq later.
thank you all for all the wonderful helps, and tips provided!!!!!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky