New Traeger Texas Elite......Keep or Return?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

socalangler

Original poster
Jan 3, 2017
New to smoking....I'm just just your average backyard propane griller! Did purchase a Big Chief smoker a year or so ago but still have yet to use it. Purchased it mainly for fish.

Anyway, wanted to try my hand at some better grilling / smoking; basically wanting to give my meats a cooked over wood taste. I mainly grill baby back ribs, steaks, and burgers.

So Costco had this unit for $599. I assembled it, but have not fired it up.

I've been doing some reading and found that the Traegers have some issue with flare ups, reaching higher temps (450F), holding temps, etc. I've read about adding a Savannah Stoker controller to improve the operation....but at an additional $200....I'd be at $800. Is it worth it?

Is it worth keeping or returning and looking for a better model?

Thanks!

I don't own 1 but its my belief that there are more being ran with no problems vs those with problems, and that goes for all brands. Its easy to get on the bashing wagon and some folks glass are 1/2 empty lol. almost 2 years with my pellet smoker and no major complaints or problems, I know things happen and as long as a company puts forth a decent effort to repair it I couldn't ask for more

second on the Rec Tec suggestion. from what i have read and heard from people with a T****r. they have a higher than average problem possibility. Personally-i wouldnt put my cash there. nothing makes me boiler over more than paying good money for a bad product.

4th for the Rec Tec, and I don't own one or any other pellet popper. The guys here with Rec Tec's produce some outstanding cooks, rate the customer service quite highly, and don't seem to run into a lot of problems with their units. I still get emails from the Traeger forum and check it out occasionally, way too many problems to inspire a purchase. RAY

Reactions: sandyut
The pellet grill space is getting crowded these days. Even Weber is piling on now, albeit a lot of noise thus far. So there are lots of brands and models to choose from.

I would not buy one that would require a $200 modification to make me happy. Do your studies and buy once. You mention you want to do grilling and smoking to produce cooks with a smoke flavor. That said, you could also be looking beyond a pellet grill. A Weber Kettle is a low cost and very effective entry point.

I decided to return the Traeger grill. Cost of add-ons didn't make sense (meat probes, shelves, etc)

I purchased a Pit Boss Pro Series 1100 (from Lowes). Same price as Trager.
PB included the front shelf, side shelf, bottom shelf, and 2 meat probes...all of which Traeger did not. The PB appears slightly better made than the Traeger (better welds, stronger lid, stronger/larger pellet hopper, heavier legs, better wheels, thicker cast iron grill). And....the PB has a searing function.

Time will tell how well it performs.

Reactions: Steff3
I decided to return the Traeger grill. Cost of add-ons didn't make sense (meat probes, shelves, etc)

I purchased a Pit Boss Pro Series 1100 (from Lowes). Same price as Trager.
PB included the front shelf, side shelf, bottom shelf, and 2 meat probes...all of which Traeger did not. The PB appears slightly better made than the Traeger (better welds, stronger lid, stronger/larger pellet hopper, heavier legs, better wheels, thicker cast iron grill). And....the PB has a searing function.

Time will tell how well it performs.
I had the Pit Boss Pro Series 1100 from Lowes and returned it. The grill heated unevenly and I had flare ups. The digital thermometer on the side would read 300 (same temp I set the PB at) but the hood thermometer would read 575. A heat gun would register the left grate at 300, the center at 525, the right at 480 or so. Even on the low setting, it was a mess- the left was 160, center 225, right was 190. So much for smoking jerky.
I believe this is because it has no heat deflector under the drip pan.they remove this to allow for open searing. Bad design. Lowes was great though. Too bad, could've been a great grill.

Sorry to hear you had troubles.
Based on several reviews, your issues do not appear common. I believe all grills have pros/cons.
The searing function is attractive to me.

If needed, I’d much rather mod the diffuser than add shelves and probes as would have been the case with the Traeger.

Reactions: RCAlan
My Austin which is the same size and design are the same as the 1100 and hold temps fairly even, I have posted a bunch of cooks that show how close it runs, a lot of stuff is averaged and will run in a range, 20 up 20 below and wont affect the outcome of the food most of the time, as the temps increase it could give issues the higher you go depending on how much fat is rendering, I created a flare up by turning mine up to 400 after smoking a full load of chicken and still had a lot of grease on the deflector plate, I was watching for it and didn't ruin any thing but knew pretty much it was going to happen. learn your cooker and it will treat you good and that goes for any of them and types. stuff like jerky do better on my Masterbuilt electric imo. ymmv

Recently picked a Traeger Texas Elite at Costco and have had zero issues. Temps stay very consistent and no flare ups. I'm no professional but I've smoked a fair bit of meat and the Traeger has not disappointed me yet.

I hope the Pit Boss serves you well.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky