New Toy

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

rons

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Mar 15, 2009
We get some really nasty weather here in N. Idaho, it's already getting really cold, rainy, wind blowing... I rarely get to smoke anything from Nov. - March because of that. So thought I'd get a little electric smoker that I can use in the garage by the door with the big door open, at least be sheltered a bit and get a little good food done during this time of year. Nothing fancy but I think it'll fill in the gaps. Got this little Masterbuilt electric
Just arrived this morning, got put together and is out doing a burn in right now. Gonna try some jerky on it later today. It has a tube doo-hickey for adding chips for smoke but if that doesn't work well enough I have a couple amazen smoking pellet tubes, I can put the short one in the bottom and get smoke that way. I'll post later how it all worked out. So far, it seems kinda cool, it's little and light, I can pick up and carry it and put it where ever I want.

I bought my Gen 1 MES 30 in 2013 .
Added the Auber controller and a mailbox . I love it . Just used it yesterday and the day before for SS .
I can use the 6" tube inside the smoker . The 12" is a bit too much . You'll just have to see what your results are .

Reactions: rons
Added the Auber controller and a mailbox . I love it . Just used it yesterday and the day before for SS .
I can use the 6" tube inside the smoker . The 12" is a bit too much . You'll just have to see what your results are .
My 'ol MES 30 is my fallback smoker. Easy for when I'm lazy and fine for belly and yardbird,. got a tube for it, but so far we don't get along.

cool
mailbox?
Yeah gonna find out soon here, it's all burned in and cooled, so time to warm it back up and get the jerky on!

I use mine for sausage , ham and bacon . Sometimes pork butt .
cool, I think it will be a fun little work horse. Pork Butt will probably be something soon for me too, love those!

My 'ol MES 30 is my fallback smoker. Easy for when I'm lazy and fine for belly and yardbird,. got a tube for it, but so far we don't get along.
cool, a tube and you don't get along? Like one of those amazen smoker tube deals and it's not working for you?

Had one, lasted 2 years before the controller went toes up. It did pretty good while it worked and the wood chip tray arrangement worked pretty well. Went back to charcoal and wood chunks.
yeah cheap electronics...I don't expect it to last a long time, but it was super cheap.
I still have my bigger smoker it's charcoal/propane, and it's great when the weather is less harsh.
But , this might be nice to have it just keep a good temp instead of having to rush out and get the temp up, or that 'oh crap it's at 350!! eek' scenario lol

Congrats on the new rig. Anytime I do low temp cooks, the MES 40 gets the call. The RT 590 takes the back seat quite often.

Reactions: rons
I love mine as well but admit at first I thought it was mostly a gimmick or toy. No longer do. rons rons You might be surprised how well it performs in the cold. It's insulated... I have a quite a few cold Ohio days logged.

If you have an external thermometer I would advise you to use it as those controllers are notoriously off...

Have fun with your new toy ...
Thanks!
you read my mind was just about to drop in my wireless temp probe

I love mine as well but admit at first I thought it was mostly a gimmick or toy. No longer do. rons rons You might be surprised how well it performs in the cold. It's insulated... I have a quite a few cold Ohio days logged.
That'd be great, yeah noticed it was insulated, that helps a LOT,
Oh yeah Ohio gets some nasty weather too eh?
Today is pretty nice here, sunny and 45 degrees, but soon it'll be in the teens or less for a high temp, and when the snow is blowing, the deck is solid ice and snow, I skip the BBQ stuff , but now... this might become my go to rig.

Reactions: zwiller
ok temp is about 25-30 lower than what it's display reads, but I can work with that

Attachments

• NS temp.jpg
    NS temp.jpg
    119.2 KB · Views: 15
small load of jerky for it's maiden voyage. just a couple lbs of meat, covered 2.5 of the racks, put some scrap meat on the bottom for the dogs, they will be happy!

Attachments

• NS 1st jerky.jpg
    NS 1st jerky.jpg
    186.5 KB · Views: 15
It might be the pellets I’m using, but I can’t seem to keep mine lit, when I do it seems like an awful lot of artificial smoke
bummer, I have a real brand long one and a knock brand shorter one, I do have to really LIGHT them REALLY good but then they keep smoking for hours really well. I use a propane torch to light up and keep the flame on for like 4 minutes till it's freaken super for sure hot and lit.

Reactions: fxsales1959
It might be the pellets I’m using, but I can’t seem to keep mine lit, when I do it seems like an awful lot of artificial smoke
One other thing too is air flow, I was just thinking about this and when I put my tube in my propane smoker, it always goes out. I have to have it above the flame, and the flame eats up all the oxygen so the tube suffocates. But anytime I place it in something where it has access to oxygen, it burns great and keeps going. I put mine in the bottom of my gas grill all the time, it's below the flames so lays down there smoking like a champ.

BTW love your Jeep in your avatar photo, we have a liberty but man would love to have a Wrangler.

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky