New to this Forum

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Kansas BBQ - Andrew

Original poster
May 16, 2021
Just got my hands on my third smoker ever...1st was a Kettle Junker, 2nd was a Bradley Puck Smoker, and now I'm into a Pit Boss Vertical Smoker. And, in fact I'm smoking right now. I've been in the super huge giant meat business for 20+ years (JBS, Marfrig, Smithfield)...so I might know a few things about meat, and how to get it. I've been to Chef school (trust me sort of waste). And I can cook. I love a butt or three in the smoker...etc. Now, to the point, and perhaps it may become a threaded topic...but I live in a house with allergies....loves, and hates. One kid can't stomach hot or acid based foods too much, we have milk allergies....fatty bits in the pulled pork are icky...we've heard it all haven't we? So, I'm working on a taboo project.....pork loin pulled pork. It's on the smoker now. I pumped it, sat it for 24 hours, put some bacon on it, and once it hits 140F-ish, I'll foil it and continue to around 200-210F....and ride it tender. Ideas? Opinions?

Welcome to the forum. A couple of ideas: a butt for those who can and the lean loin for those who can't. Maybe smoke some brats/weiners/burgers. Iced tea and beer instead of milk (age dependent of course).

Welcome to SMF!

I too run a vertical Pit Boss amongst other things..

Assuming you're using the bacon for added moisture and not expecting it to get crispy in the foil I think your plan is solid.

Welcome to the Forum from Indiana! Your meat knowledge is also welcome.
Several people at once are definitely hard to please. It's too spicy or too fatty and whats that red ring around the edge? My grandkids don't like wings with bones <sigh>.
No matter what I cook when they come I always make sure I have hot dogs and mac & cheese....
Looking forward to your results. Loin is on sale often here and I keep wondering what I could do with it.

welcome Kansas. I’m new here also and I run a vertical pit boss. Im new to smoking so I don’t have any advice on your pork loin but I am curious to how it will turn out. Please let us know.

Welcome to SMF from the central God's country - aka the heartland of Missouri.

I am curious how the loin PP will turn out. Post some pics!

You asked for ideas and the only thing I can come up with quickly is beer can burgers (build your own) and double-smoked ham.
To keep the beer can burgers a manageable size, I use a big shot glass or a juice glass.

I just threw some on the smoker....cause I can....cause I have a rack... cause I'm in the middle of a smoke...and cause leftovers at work....Yup!

Welcome from Coastal South Carolina. Looking forward to you sharing some of your knowledge on meat and how to get it
So...what are looking for? There are so many other parts of a pig than the butt, the ham, the loin and the tenderloin. Consider cushions, belly+ attached muscle (needs a hog butcher)....head meat, cheek meat...back fat+ muscle........or just pork fat and what you want to smoke.

Oooh, smoking brats. What's the simple easy way. I'm gonna get my google on too.
Throw them on like any other sausage, will probably take ~90min at 225*F.

If you aren't happy with pulled loin (it will almost certainly be a little dry, mealy), consider trying to recreate mechanical separation at home. I'm sure a vitamix or similarly powerful food processor would do fine at pulverizing it, or you could run it through a grinder.

Another option would be to further butcher butts into separate muscles/chunks, and cook that for the kids.

Currently 133F....wrapped in bacon, waiting for 140-145F to foil it up. Brats on the bottom, they've been there for 10-20 mins. And, yes I know the proof is in the pudding (the pulled pork)...but we're not there yet.

Attachments

• 20210516_140253[1].jpg
    20210516_140253[1].jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 9
Throw them on like any other sausage, will probably take ~90min at 225*F.

If you aren't happy with pulled loin (it will almost certainly be a little dry, mealy), consider trying to recreate mechanical separation at home. I'm sure a vitamix or similarly powerful food processor would do fine at pulverizing it, or you could run it through a grinder.

Another option would be to further butcher butts into separate muscles/chunks, and cook that for the kids.
I have done that many times...the disecting butts for the pickys
I plan to incorporate the bacon into the mix.

And the reason I'm running loins right now...is because they were $1.50.....gotta giver er a go. I'll buy ten butts when they go on sale, and some loins.

I would look to add some fat after it's been pulled either butter or bacon fat the kids can figure what they want for seasoning on their own

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky