New to the forums. I have a couple of questions.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Curt D.

Original poster
Oct 27, 2017
Hello everyone,
I'm new to this forum but have been smoking meat for years. My question, is how to start a new thread. I have a question regarding the cold smoke box by Masterbuilt. I can't seem to find where or how to post. I'm assuming there are sub categories you would like certain questions asked? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Hi Curt. Not a lot said here about any aux. smoke generator besides the AMPs systems pellet smokers. I have and have been using a MES Cold Smoker for a couple a years and I use it all the time now. What would you like discussed?

Smoke leakage, use aluminum foil as a gasket material. Use it for the 3" insertion to the MES smoking unit and throw the wing screw do-hickie that holds it on away. You cans also roll it up and use it as a gasket to insulate where the top plate of the tower sets upon the cold smoker case for a more smoke free seal.

Chips most work, its generally accepted here that chips do not really benefit from pre-soaking. I sort of figure that pre-soaking is a way to slow the ignition point to start smoldering so the meat gets a chance to pre-heat up to the 80 to 150 IT sweet spot to accept smoke.

There a protective coating on the steel of the cold smoker which will peel off, I have not found it toxic yet.

My favorite smoke is pecan and I use pecan shells. I have pecan trees and its a renewable resource, besides I like the smoke. They work great inn the chimney

Speaking of the chimney, the first few times you might want to watch it, the shell/chips can and will stop it up and not drop. No biggie just use a broom handle and knock 'em down. Usually once is all it takes.

The ashtray is you air inlet I leave mine cracked open, but once the dry shells/chips start to smolder it can be used to regulate flow just like a vent.

Can you use a variable rheostat to control the smoke rate to try and maintain a longer smoke? I never tryed. I can afford the pecan shells so it didn't matter to me.

Lastly, remotely mounted for cold smoke? Thats a longer topic. LOL

Let me know what you need help with and I'll try and assist ya with your question.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky