New to the forum

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

swalker

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Jul 16, 2006
NW Arkansas
Hi all,

I stumbled onto this forum and figured I better join. My name is Steve Walker, I live in Bentonville, AR. I have had probably two different smokers over the years...I bought one of the Brinkman Vertical smokers yesterday at Wal-Mart and have six pounds of ribs in there as we speak.
So I am generally interested in all the advice/knowledge I can gather up from this forum. So far I am happy with this little smoker...It was a little under sixty bucks and is rated for around 50 lbs. of meat.. I like the shelves as well as the bottom pan for charcoal. I am by no means an expert...I just enjoy using a smoker as y'all do... I had no hickory or any wood to use this time, but plan on experimenting as I go. So am hoping to get some good advice and tips from this forum.

Thanks Jeff, for creating it....Talk to ya later, I am going to check on the ribs...
Steve

Welcome Steve,

I grew up in SE Arkansas myself (DeWitt).

You came to the right place to learn and share your meat smoking hobby.

Take some pics and let us know how things go.

Welcome swalker,
Nice to have ya on board :D Feel free to walk through the different threads and forums. There's alot of great info here, and even more friendly people to help you along. Happy smokin'!

Welcome aboard, Steve and more importantly, welcome to the family! We have a great time here and as I am sure you have already seen there is a wealth of information to be shared here as well!

So c'mon in and peruse the various topics which interest you and please share with as as we go. We like to hear about your successes as well as your flops. We all learn from each other!

Cheers!
Monty

Welcome to our little slice of heaven on earth.

When you ge those ribs done let us know how they turned out and if you have pictures we love to see them posted.

Welcome aboard

Steve
Welcome...glad to have ya here...lots of great friendly people here to help you along..don't be afraid to ask and share as well..

Later
Richard

welcome swalker!!!!!!

glad you came in and joined

i have yet to try it myself (because i need a new smoker) but i have heard excellet things about the 3-2-1 method of smoking ribs.

its one if the first things im doing when i get my new smoker.

also, jeffs rib rub is really really good

glad your back cant wait to see the pics of the ribs

Welcome to the SMF family, Steve-we're glad you joined. As has peen mentions, there is some great info to be had here by reading the various forums and in case you have a question about smoking foods that you haven't found an answer for, just ask away and somebody will get an answer back to you.

Enjoy!

Thanks everyone, I am not sure yet how to post any pictures...but the ribs turned out fine...not great, but fine. I should of had some hickory or something like that to add to the fire and flavor...but I didn't. I will next go around...I felt like the fire should of been a little hotter and think the hickory will provide that...
Just wondering how much hickory does one use...50/50 with charcoal or less?

Ok, till next time...Steve

Welcome Steve,

I have to recommend taking Jeff's 5-day eCourse. Huge help.

I think in it he recommends using about a 90% charcoal and 10% smoking wood combination, which basically has worked great for me. But I could be mistaken but this is the place to find out. Happy smoking and welcome again.

Welcome aboard Steve,
You'll find lots of great information here, people are great are are sure willing to help. They made my first smoke a great success

Ron

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky