New to the forum, fixing up origional oklahoma joes smoker

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Wow that is looking sweet.

I have those same shelves. You might consider dedicating a cutting board for use with the smoker. I found one approximately the same size as the side shelf, and drove some short screws into it to serve as locating pegs.

cuttingboard2.jpg

cuttingboard.jpg

Wow that is looking sweet.

I have those same shelves. You might consider dedicating a cutting board for use with the smoker. I found one approximately the same size as the side shelf, and drove some short screws into it to serve as locating pegs.

View attachment 373778

View attachment 373779
Mine doesn't have any side shelves just a removeable handle on the left. Nice idea for extra space though.

So inside is surface rusted I'm gonna season it now. With fresh paint should I still spray the outside with cooking spray? Charcoal in the chimney now warming up. My seals and such wont be here till Monday :(

Well I got one of my thermometers sin today. The Dozyant 2" and frankly it sucks. Said NO fog lense. Just from calibration it fogged. Its been 4 hours still foggy. Going to return it. Should I go with lavalock or River Country?

Attachments

• 20180816_220212.jpg
    20180816_220212.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 16
I bought the (2) pack of 3" Dozyant temp gauges, they are supposed to be able to be calibrated. I couldn't get it loose and gave up. One was right on, the other 10 degrees colder. Tel-tru are really good, but pricey. They are around 35-40 bucks a piece for the 3" gauges.

I have 5" River Country (RC-T5L) Adjustable therms with 3" dial and they've been no problem.
3" stem (RC-T3W) Adjustable $17.

Thats what I bought last night. 2 of the river country 3" with 1/4" NTP. Got my lavalock gasket on still not to happy. Still have leaks because the doors are warped. Didn't want to have to clamp my lids but looks like ill have to.

Also looked into the firebox leaks and saw the Yoder Wichita door mod thread. My top vent is above the opening to the chamber so I'm losing smoke and heat there explaining why smoke poors out that side. The test was the pork butt I just threw in there. Kinda wishing I just got the walmart OK joes I had already paid for and returned rather than getting this one free lol. A friend got his a few weeks ago sealed it and no leaks held 225 solid for some ribs this weekend. Just a little frustrated I guess because ill find things out on my first smoke I dont like and will have to mod it more.

You can tweek the doors back in position. I'm sure someone will chime in on methods. Relax, dont get frustrated, last case scenario you install clamps. Bringing it back to life ain't easy sometimes but worth it as you make it your own.

You can tweek the doors back in position. I'm sure someone will chime in on methods. Relax, dont get frustrated, last case scenario you install clamps. Bringing it back to life ain't easy sometimes but worth it as you make it your own.
Ya I'm sure the hinges can be tweaked to lower the bottom edge more. They are just miss aligned but I dont have a torch to heat and bend or a welder to cut and weld new hinges. Ill probably end up clamping but just think they are ugly. I will certainly be modding the inlet on the fire box door.

I wanted to use this clamp on my fire box lid but never held one before to know. Can it clamp on a round surface pulling the lid down having it mounted vertically?

Attachments

• Screenshot_2018-08-18-19-10-52.png
    Screenshot_2018-08-18-19-10-52.png
    370.1 KB · Views: 13
  • 20180818_191242.jpg
    20180818_191242.jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 12
  • 20180818_152609.jpg
    20180818_152609.jpg
    89.1 KB · Views: 12
Oh man these river country thermometers are miles better than the dozyant knock offs! So worth 18$ vs 8$! Got one installed tonight will do the other tomorrow. They are solid and heavy, no fog after 5 mins of boiling water.

Attachments

• 20180822_193713.jpg
    20180822_193713.jpg
    119.5 KB · Views: 7
  • 20180822_193724.jpg
    20180822_193724.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 8
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky