New to the forum, and to smoked foods

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

bbqgeorge

Original poster
Nov 5, 2010
Hello to all, and thanks for taking the time to review my post.  I am new to the site, and in the infant stages of my long road of smoke cooking.  I am very excited to say that I was able to find and build a darn interesting smoker setup.  It all started when I had some Polish Sausage that my father in law made.  It was fantastic, and wanted to make it myself in my own oven.  About 6 months ago I finally scraped up the time to build it.  Since then I use my oven almost every weekend, tying and documenting everything.  Smoked things I had no clue I could even smoke.  Hell, I may even smoke my 2 year olds birthday cake this weekendJ   I am lucky enough to have a nest of pecan trees next door and constantly pick up seasoned wood.  I have found that I like oak wood and pecan the very best.  Apple I like, but hickory I can only take in small doses.

I am here for advice from the professionals, I quickly learned that smoke cooking is a labor of love and is in no way a born art.  I am well on my way to hopefully one day becoming what many of you are.

I will try and load pictures of my setup, you may think it’s a crock, but it cooks well.  Still not finished, in the process of building a grill like top with built in racks.  I have a whole series of racks that are installed within the mortar, and work fine with a mortor pan as the top. 

Thanks guys!

68f8fd7d_SDC11973.jpg

Welcome to SMF. Nice looking smoker there. If you havent done so check out the free 5 day eccourse. Lots of great information in there. 

Built like a brick shmokehouse . If it works for you and you turn out grub that ev1 likes then aint a dang thing wrong.

Is it hard to maintain temps ?

Thanks, and the ecorse is where im headed to next.  Have a big party this weekend and have to smoke about 60 pounds or various meats.  Trying to find out the best way to reheat whole pieces of meat?

Surprisingly not, i cold smoke at 80 degrees all day, can get it to 700 degrees by either adding wood, or pushing into the tunnel.  It draws almost 100 percent of the smoke into the stack.  Its an old European design.

Thanks, and the ecorse is where im headed to next.  Have a big party this weekend and have to smoke about 60 pounds or various meats.  Trying to find out the best way to reheat whole pieces of meat?
Big pieces of meat are hard to reheat w/o drying them out . better to slice or pull first. then you can wrap in foil w/ some liquid and reheat in the oven or you can place in a strainer and steam it,

i bag my smokes in vacum seal bags and just throw the bag in simmering water till hot.

bbqgeorge welcome! There are no pro's here just folks that like great Q. Stick around and share some great pics of your smoke jobs.
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif
 I almost thought you said your two year old.
eek.gif

Last edited:
LOL, pretty funny, glad you didn't stop reading after that point, could of started things off a bit on the wrong foot.  I am up at 0530 tomorrow morning to start the fire, should have the coals where they need to be around 0630.  Very excited!  Will take picks and post.

Welcoem to SMF - that is one cool setup you have there. Looking forward to some qview

Welcome to the SMF. I wish I had the space to have a smoker like yours. It's all good my friend.

Welcome to SMF bbqgeorge, I am with you on the pecan, my favorite wood. You are going to love this place. Good Luck and Happy Smoking.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky