New to smoking

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Spartan165

Fire Starter
Original poster
Nov 21, 2019
Hey everybody I'm Ben and I'm new to the forums and to smoking. I just picked up an Oklahoma joe highland and have been doing some mods to it. I looking forward to learning from you guys and to some awesome bbq!

You came to the right place. These guys know there stuff. The search form is a very handy tool or just ask. Someone will certainly respond. Welcome...

Reactions: Spartan165
Hey thanks for the welcome everybody. I happen to be here. I have been wanting to get into smoking for a while now and I finally pulled the trigger on an offset.

Welcome aboard Ben. This is the right place to learn. I swear I learn something new almost daily here. The list of things I add to my to do list I see here is huge :)

Welcome to the forum Ben. You wont be disappointed that you came. Ive yet to come across any negative people here. We are all here for the same things. ...good ideas, good food, to learn new things and to share what we have learned. Mistakes are welcome! Lol ! Tell us a little about the mods you are making to the Oklahoma or plan to make to it. We all would be interested.

Welcome to the forum Ben. You wont be disappointed that you came. Ive yet to come across any negative people here. We are all here for the same things. ...good ideas, good food, to learn new things and to share what we have learned. Mistakes are welcome! Lol ! Tell us a little about the mods you are making to the Oklahoma or plan to make to it. We all would be interested.
Well I have already sealed her up with rtv and added a grommet for my temp probes to pass through. I have also extended the stack with a flexible dryer vent down to the racks. I have ordered a tuning plate and I am planning to replace the shelf it came with with a solid one made of stainless.

Reactions: Sowsage
Well I have already sealed her up with rtv and added a grommet for my temp probes to pass through. I have also extended the stack with a flexible dryer vent down to the racks. I have ordered a tuning plate and I am planning to replace the shelf it came with with a solid one made of stainless.
Sounds like your on the right track! Cant wait to see some of the things you smoke on it!

Sounds like your on the right track! Cant wait to see some of the things you smoke on it!
Yeah I'm looking forward to it as well! I would like to run a handful of dry runs first I think though so I can get to know my pit a little before I start smoking expensive stuff on it.

Yeah I'm looking forward to it as well! I would like to run a handful of dry runs first I think though so I can get to know my pit a little before I start smoking expensive stuff on it.
Chicken thighs. Thats what i use for practice runs. Really cheap. Also a loaded smoker will run a bit different than a dry one. At least in my experience. Get some cheap stuff to throw on there while you practice. Sometimes you can find a bag of chicken hind quarters for like $6. Use that. Even if your not going to eat it right away you can shred and pull the meat to freeze. Then use it in casseroles and such later on.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky