• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

New to smoking-ribs

lester547

Joined Dec 22, 2010
im new to smoking meats.... Can i put ribs(baby,country,spare) straight on the grate of the smoker or do i need a rib rack? is there any benefit to either, and is the cooking method the same? thanks

pineywoods

SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster
Staff member
Administrator
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
OTBS Admin
Group Lead
Joined Mar 22, 2008
Welcome to SMF glad you joined us. You can place them directly on the grates personally the only time I use rib racks is if I'm trying to smoke more than will lay on the racks.

scarbelly

Epic Pitmaster
OTBS Member
Joined Jul 26, 2009
Welcome to SMF and like Piney said, I too only use a rack if I cant fit them on on the grates

pineywoods

SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster
Staff member
Administrator
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
OTBS Admin
Group Lead
Joined Mar 22, 2008
Last edited:

mballi3011

Epic Pitmaster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Mar 12, 2009

First off Welcome to SMF there Lester. Now I wouldn't recommend using a rack unless you don't have the room in your smoker. Then I would use the recipe that Jerry (pineywoods) gave you too. 

ugaboz

Smoking Fanatic
Joined Jan 1, 2010
welcome to the forum, and to answer your question you can do it either way, i have tried it both ways and perfer the right on the grate, and yes when i did both the method for me was the same 2 hours on the grate flipping every 30 with apple juice sprayed on, and them wrapped for an 1hour and a half in foil and then 30 more wrapped with bbbq sauce

im new to smoking meats.... Can i put ribs(baby,country,spare) straight on the grate of the smoker or do i need a rib rack? is there any benefit to either, and is the cooking method the same? thanks

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.