New to smoking looking to do some chicken

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

purplestarrider

Fire Starter
Original poster
Feb 18, 2011
Arvada, CO
So the hubby got me a master built electric smoker for Christmas. I am so excited and have done pork butt twice now, however i am up for trying something new. SO chicken is what I have decided. SO along with the smoker i was given the Backyard BBQ the art of Smokology by Chef Richard W. McPeake.  So here is what I am trying to figure out. After reading that book now like 3 times and researching things online i have some questions. I have noticed that almost every where states that I should do brine and then some say do a dry rub and some say don't. And if you do only put it on right before you put in the smoker. Then i have read to do a mop as well.  Would you recommend doing all 3?? Or is there one thing that I should totally stay away from. Also any recommendations on leave it whole or cut it up into 8 pieces. Please any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks All Jess

So the hubby got me a master built electric smoker for Christmas. I am so excited and have done pork butt twice now, however i am up for trying something new. SO chicken is what I have decided. SO along with the smoker i was given the Backyard BBQ the art of Smokology by Chef Richard W. McPeake.  So here is what I am trying to figure out. After reading that book now like 3 times and researching things online i have some questions. I have noticed that almost every where states that I should do brine and then some say do a dry rub and some say don't. And if you do only put it on right before you put in the smoker. Then i have read to do a mop as well.  Would you recommend doing all 3?? Or is there one thing that I should totally stay away from. Also any recommendations on leave it whole or cut it up into 8 pieces. Please any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks All Jess
When it comes to chicken and brine i think it a personal choice.. some swear by it some don't.. I have done birds both ways and had good results both ways but i don't brine that much. But i do like to use a marinade and i use salt pepper onion power and season all as a rub.. If your are looking for a nice crispy skin you are going to want to smoke at a higher temp 275F or more i like to be around 300F..

here is the marinade i use

1 egg  beaten

½ tsp white pepper or black

3 tsp poultry seasoning

2 tsp of alpine.. or season All

½ c vegetable oil    

1 cup cider vinegar

1/2 cup Italian dressing

whisk all the above ingredients together. Marinate the chicken overnight or longer.

Last edited:
Thanks. I will check it out. I am so excited to see what people have to suggest. Do you do the chicken whole or do you cut it pieces??

Thanks. I will check it out. I am so excited to see what people have to suggest. Do you do the chicken whole or do you cut it pieces??

I like to use either half chickens or whole chickens have had good luck with both.. most the time depends on how many i am cooking for. if its just the wife and i than i do the half birds.. if its wife and i and friends than i will do a whole bird..

Brining is the best way to do a chicken. That being said I usually don't brine. Most of the time I inject the chicken with a mixture of chicken broth & melted butter. Then put a rub on, Jeff's rub is good on chicken. Finally I smoke it beer can style with half a can of beer & some rub mixed in. Make sure you put a potato or onion in the neck so the moisture stays in the bird. If you want crispy skin you need to smoke it at around 300 degrees. Smoke till the breast is 165 & the thigh is 175. Also you need to get 2 good thermometers, because the factory one's are not accurate. You need one for the grate temp & one for the meat, Or you could get 1 dual probe therm. Good luck!

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum and the hobby.

In my opinion if you can do a really good smoked chicken you quickly move out of the newbie smoker class.  They are a bit difficult to get completely cooked while retaining the moisture and having a nice edible skin.

I have heard some posters mention that electric smokers do not get hot enough to properly finish a chicken.  I don't know, I'm a stick burner true and true but remember if after getting a couple of hours of smoke there is no harm in moving the chickens to a hot oven to crisp them up a bit and finish them off.

Don't forget the Qview, it's easy and required by the more voracious forum members

Al

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky