New to SMF. Looking for help on a smoker build.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

forgivenall

Original poster
Aug 3, 2014
Hello, all. Been smoking sausage, jerky, turkey, butts, etc. for about 15 yes but still have much to learn. Been doing most of it in a modified grill and recently in 40" Masterbuilt.

However, since we make sometimes 300# of deer sausage, I need something bigger than my little Masterbuilt. I scored big and found a 4-door (2 front & 2 back) stainless fridge. 63"wide x 62" tall x 29" deep. Looking for advice on converting it to be my Smokezilla.
Here are a couple of my thoughts:
- Have upper (approx top 1/3 of the box) and lower hanging racks (middle 1/3) on both sides. Lower 1/3 will be for heat source and smoke injection.
- Thinking of building a 1'x1'x1' sheetmetal (or equivalent) box outside the smoker and duct in the smoke to allow ease of adding wood chips without opening the smoker.
- I have used the cast iron skillet on a 120 volt electric hot plate, but do you guys have any other suggestions (not looking to buy a Bradley smoke injector or something really spendy).
- Would I need circulation fans (e.g. computer fans) to keep the temp uniform? Max temp inside smoker should be below 300F.
- Should I heat the box with a 240 volt range element (and Ranco 111000 temp controller) or would you suggest going to a propane grill burner on a modulating gas valve?
- The old fridge has no shelving so I will need to build racks. What do you recommend? Thinking of maybe welding up expanded metal racks with an angle iron edge.
I look forward to hearing your ideas!

Hello and welcome to the forum, keep up posted on the build

Gary S

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky