New to Masterbuilt

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Ron in Texas

Original poster
Aug 7, 2022
Just switched from Traeger Little Tex to a Masterbuilt 800. Didn’t have a lot of luck with my Traeger and after lots of research I think the Masterbuilt 800 will change my results.
Looking forward to suggestions and learning more about successful smoke/grilling.

Reactions: 912smoker
I also have the GF 1050, and I love it. I don't put wood in the ash tray as masterbuilt suggests. I kinda stager charcoal and the wood of my choice in the hopper and just let that baby burn. My only recommendation is... get an electrical rated lube and give those safety buttons a tiny spray now and then. I get mine from work lol. But those buttons will eventually stick.

Reactions: 912smoker
I also have the GF 1050, and I love it. I don't put wood in the ash tray as masterbuilt suggests. I kinda stager charcoal and the wood of my choice in the hopper and just let that baby burn. My only recommendation is... get an electrical rated lube and give those safety buttons a tiny spray now and then. I get mine from work lol. But those buttons will eventually stick.
So...just wood chips in the hopper? Or bigger chunks?

I'm 2 weeks in on owning an 800, coming from a Smokefire. The best advice I can offer is play and experiment with it, so that you can determine what outcome you like best. There's lots of combinations of fuel to try- wood chunks, no wood chunks, splits, add wood to the ash bin or not, briquettes, charcoal logs or lump. As you proceed, the outcomes will all likely be very good regardless of how you got there, so the experiments are fun. I'm having a blast.

Tried this method this weekend on the advice of mcokevin mcokevin and think I'll be using it more often !
20220828_150711.jpg 20220828_151308.jpg

Keith

Glad you like it - I like how narrow that split is. Mine are a bit thicker, think yours is about where I'd like to be.
I would like to try this method over the kiln dried chunks in the store. My problem is sourcing the specific wood types around me.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky