new to forum

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

shooter44

Original poster
Dec 20, 2011
I am new too this forum, but have been reading all the info. sound like lots of well informed members. I am not good with math but i have been using prague #1 for curing at the rate of 1 teaspoon per 5Lbs of meat. can I use this rate in wet and dry brines. thanks for and help. I am one of those guys that worry about making people sick [I guess that a good thing]
Jim

Welcome to SMF and were glad to have you aboard

Boykjo

Welcome from Colorado.
Just remember in a wet brine to include the weight of the brine added with meat weight to solve for cure #1
And when weight Is odd like 7#, just remember 1.1 grams cure per pound. 1 level teaspoon is fine for 5# then add 1.1g for any additional pounds.

Welcome from Colorado.
Just remember in a wet brine to include the weight of the brine added with meat weight to solve for cure #1
And when weight Is odd like 7#, just remember 1.1 grams cure per pound. 1 level teaspoon is fine for 5# then add 1.1g for any additional pounds.
thanks for the reply, so are saying to meat weight. add water weight and then that total weight to then add your cure. so 24lbs meat plus 1gal. water=8lbs so 24 + 8 =32lbs then add 35.2 gram of cure.

Reactions: bdawg
thanks for the reply, so are saying to meat weight. add water weight and then that total weight to then add your cure. so 24lbs meat plus 1gal. water=8lbs so 24 + 8 =32lbs then add 35.2 gram of cure.

Yup you got it.
And welcome from WA State!

Welcome from San Antonio Texas!
texas_zpswacwwmhm.gif

Convert to grams. 454g per pound.
32X454=14528g
Then solve for cure at 0.25%
14528X0.0025=36.32g cure #1

Yes, include the weight of meat and brine to get salt, sugar and cure#1 percentage.

Convert to grams. 454g per pound.
32X454=14528g
Then solve for cure at 0.25%
14528X0.0025=36.32g cure #1

Yes, include the weight of meat and brine to get salt, sugar and cure#1 percentage.
thank you so much, i think i got it.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky