New to AZ

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

RobCat

Original poster
Oct 27, 2018
Well I just moved here from Illinois and after a month am very much enjoying Arizona. I left my rust bucket of a smoker in Illinois and just picked up the Traeger Renegade Pro. I've been a stick smoker since I started 10 years ago but getting lazy in my old age and decided to give a pellet smoker a try. I have not used it yet but I did get a great deal on it at Home Depot in Avondale. They had 11 in stock and were trying to move them by knocking an additional $25 off the sale price and threw in 2 bags of pellets. Unfortunately they had a limited supply of pellets so I ended up with 1 bag of hickory and 1 bag of mesquite.

Yesterday I was at Fry's and able to pick up a brisket on sale for $1.77 a pound. I don't know around here how that compares but in Illinois I was doing good to get brisket for less than $3 a pound.

Rob

Reactions: buck1949
Welcome to the site. They're allot of poopers here that can help you out with any questions that may arise.

Chris

Well I just moved here from Illinois and after a month am very much enjoying Arizona. I left my rust bucket of a smoker in Illinois and just picked up the Traeger Renegade Pro. I've been a stick smoker since I started 10 years ago but getting lazy in my old age and decided to give a pellet smoker a try. I have not used it yet but I did get a great deal on it at Home Depot in Avondale. They had 11 in stock and were trying to move them by knocking an additional $25 off the sale price and threw in 2 bags of pellets. Unfortunately they had a limited supply of pellets so I ended up with 1 bag of hickory and 1 bag of mesquite.

Yesterday I was at Fry's and able to pick up a brisket on sale for $1.77 a pound. I don't know around here how that compares but in Illinois I was doing good to get brisket for less than $3 a pound.

Rob

Sorry
I hit enter by mistake- see next post.

Last edited:
Hi there. Welcome !!
Glad you are going to be doing the pellets. I have a Green Mountain pellet smoker and love it. Watch the places you buy your pellets, as a lot of the pellets are not pure and have either flavoring added or are a blend of several woods. Not that these are bad, but I try to get as pure a type of pellet as I can get. Might check around the valley for the type of flavor you might want. Several places sell a variety of different flavors.

Here on Smoking Meats I am pretty sure I found a listing of some of the favorite Flavor types of Pellets and how they mate with various foods. Of course it ends up being your personal taste/flavor for your particular cook. Sorry can’t remember exactly where I found it.

Thanks for all the warm welcomes. So far I've only used Traeger pellets. The place where I bought the grill knocked an additional $25 off the price and threw in 2 free bags of pellets. Their stock was a bit low and after sorting through all the bags that had been ripped open I ended up with a bag of hickory and one of mesquite.

I've been smoking meats for about 10 years now so I'm pretty familiar with wood profiles and foods they go with. My wife now thinks I'm smoking meat with rabbit turds. :)

Thanks for all the warm welcomes. So far I've only used Traeger pellets. The place where I bought the grill knocked an additional $25 off the price and threw in 2 free bags of pellets. Their stock was a bit low and after sorting through all the bags that had been ripped open I ended up with a bag of hickory and one of mesquite.

I've been smoking meats for about 10 years now so I'm pretty familiar with wood profiles and foods they go with. My wife now thinks I'm smoking meat with rabbit turds. :)
Hey there Rob.....sounds like you got a good deal all the way around.

What I was referring to was a posting I saw that talked about the various flavors and blends specifically for pellets and how they worked with the different meats. I just never considered using a fruit wood and oak combination etc. Anyway 1/2 the fun is experimenting (as long as you aren’t screwing up a pricey cut of meat). Grin.

Of all the things I have smoked - the one thing I have yet to do is a brisket. I do make a mean meatloaf though.

Take care, and smoke ‘em if you got ‘em !!

LOL. Brisket is my specialty. Typically I use a hickory/cherry mix. But then I gotta hold of some pecan and now pecan/cherry is my new brisket combo. Great reviews by my family and friends. But experimenting is always fun!

LOL. Brisket is my specialty. Typically I use a hickory/cherry mix. But then I gotta hold of some pecan and now pecan/cherry is my new brisket combo. Great reviews by my family and friends. But experimenting is always fun!
Interesting...... I don't have any cherry pellets but have some hickory and pecan....will have to see what I can do when it comes time to do a Brisket.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky