New thermo yesterday- I love it

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
just my opinion & others here will surely disagree- when i set uot to cook food - i babysit my pit- i tend wood- otherwise i have an oven & a timer.cooking & the smoke means- porch time(that cost a few for the improvements & view)friends family &... well, ya know- if i wanna set it & fergetit i'll buy a ronco rotisserie.thats my opinion & i'll shout it out loud.

I have a gosm so there is no fire to tend and the guage on the door is not accurate. So i do use the gadget to alarm me if the temp gets to high so I do not have to go out side as much or for as long. It was 113deg today. The dogs would not even walk out to the smoker w/ me. When we have friends and family over I want to spend time w/ them and feed them great food w/o missing anything but it is a great excuss if we need to get away from the kids though. It is nice to be able to check the meat temp w/o opening the door, letting all the heat and smoke out and getting a faceful of smoke.

oops- sorry- didn't man to pizz ya off. i think i stated it was my opinion & my way of cooking- it's hot (& rainy lately) here. i have a 4wk old w/ colic so i know the diaper dilemma-i've fed over 10,000(yup 10 thousand) plates so i don't have to do a show anymore- i just simply meant for me, i spent a lot on the porch & a gathering place & my pit needs tending.best to you & your's. i'm entitled to my opinion just like you are - if yer offended- so sorry. i served this country for your right to disagree.i'll stop there & leave it @ that. most respects to you & yours- we all speak our opinions here. i never meant anything bad about it bro- just sharing.ps. i just read that back- i did sound cocky- sorry. i'm a leo - no offense.

I reread my post and I sound diffently sound pissy so I am going to edit it. I have been a little stressed and w/o sleep lately and that came out. sorry and no worries. Try swadling, worked great on my coalic baby

no worries man - i got 4 girls (3 red heads & a red headed wife scots/cherokee i'm irish/norse/comanche) these girls won't wear shoes- it's flippy flops & barefeet- ain't no swaddling involved/ never was. ... it's just that time ....... poor me - thats why i go outside to tend the pit. and being ex mili- i blow crap up in the field

Give some to Clyde. He's a pretty good snort of a guy.
icon_smile.gif

Do you like to blow things up too? I mean like tree stumps, old fence post s that are in the way, etc.?

Hey Gypsy, now that both temps have flared down, using a good thermo is far from "Ron Popiel" Q. In fact, it's quite the opposite. A good remote thermo is for the Qer that wants to be in touch w/ his pit even while he's sitting down and relaxing.

There's no way to take the babysitting out of good Q (no offense to Jim Minion). If Q was about setting a timer and walking away, everyone would be good at it, and it wouldn't be anything special.

I use a good sized stick burner. Most stick burner cooks agree that there's nothing that cooks Q quite as well. Stick burners require a lot of attention.

Tim
PDT_Armataz_01_42.gif

tim, i gave you a rep point the day you started this thread. i am going to lowes to see if they still have them. i saw them last year, when i started smoking meat.

IOHO, the things you are "complaining" about, amongst a few more as well, are exactly what makes it worthy of returning to the vendor. I even sent mine back to Maverick asking for them to install an antenna like it's supposed to have, and they told me that the 20 foot range was within specks. There's a loooong thread on the maverick @ the vwbb.

Tim

Hey Tim & all that have the Oregon Scientific AW131...

I've been having problems with my wireless probes. I've been through two AW131's and another inferior one from Target, which ironically worked for longer than the AW131 did.

My problem with both of the AW131's is that for the life of me I can't get the base to sync with the monitor. Took the first one back to Lowes and the 2nd one is having the same issues, so something is up, probably with procedure. I've tried resetting both, changing batteries... nothing. All I can figure is that I've got some serious RF interference coming from somewhere in the 433MHz range. Pretty sure the first cheap Target one died because my wife submerged the probe in the dishwater... I've done that before with the hardwired ones I've used for frying and have found that that'll kill a probe quick - not sure why though.

Anyway, if any of you guys have had problems getting the monitor to pull a signal from the base, please let me know how you fixed it... I've got 4 boston butts in right now and I'm flying blind with them. OK, not ENTIRELY blind - I've got a regular probe that I left stuck in the bottom one.

First one to fix it gets some rep power!
PDT_Armataz_01_29.gif

OK, well... it just mysteriously started getting a reading. So disregard the last post for now...

Just not sure who to give the rep points to - maybe the AW131 since it fixed itself?
PDT_Armataz_01_05.gif

Devo I have an aw 129. It likes to have the base (display) turned on first then the remote within about 5 seconds. Otherwise it can be a pain in the butt. Maybe that is what you did wrong / right.

Dude, I tried seven ways to Sunday to get it working - the weird thing was that it just started working as I was siting here reading through the boards. Maybe there was some kind of RF interference that was jamming the channel that it works on. It's been working nonstop all night.

Boston butts are all done, and are resting comfortably, so all is well.

I'm still loving mine. In fact, I bought another one. One thing that'll kill a probe quicker than a silver bullet is to position the wire over direct high heat. I've done that w/ other thermos.

The main thing to remember is that as long as you've got your sense of touch and sight, you're never flying blind. I was cooking butts and briskets a long time before they invented digital thermos for the smoker and turning out good Q. It was done by look and feel. I'm not sure that that isn't still a better way to do it.

Not really, they're just trying to protect all their retail outlets. In other words, they will sell you one direct, but a the highest price.

For anyone interested in this thermometer, I saw it on sale in my local Lowe's yesterday for under $14! Not a bad deal, and they still had quite a few left. I picked one up for myself.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky