New smoker

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Davefortier

Original poster
Mar 12, 2020
Hi there. Looking for some advice.
I’m looking at buying either the OKJ highland or the horizon 16” offset.
Do you think I should bite the bullet and just go with the horizon or stick with the cheaper highland? Is the highland a decent smoker?

thanks!

The OKJ is a reasonably good smoker but, as with and stick burner, it requires some baby sitting. Mine produces some very good smoked meats.

I currently have the OKJ Highland Offset smoker and I really like it. I did several mods to it but it works great. You are going to need to seal up the smoker with gaskets and high temp sealer as i out of box it leaks smoke and it is much easer to do it when assembling it. The rest of tee mods we options that I wanted. I think you will like it.
20180527_153706.jpg

I currently have the OKJ Highland Offset smoker and I really like it. I did several mods to it but it works great. You are going to need to seal up the smoker with gaskets and high temp sealer as i out of box it leaks smoke and it is much easer to do it when assembling it. The rest of tee mods we options that I wanted. I think you will like it.
View attachment 435652
Looks like a great unit. Did you have any issues with it rusting? I’m from Canada so not sure how it would last with our winters here.

Looks like a great unit. Did you have any issues with it rusting? I’m from Canada so not sure how it would last with our winters here.
The firebox started to rust after a few uses but that is just because of how it is made and everyone seems to have that issue. I have high temp paint just have not gotten around to repainting it. The rest seems to be holding up fine. I live in Chicago and we have some bad winters as well. I do have a cover for it and it sits under a roof so it is not totally exposed to the elements.

You will notice a difference jumping up to a Horizon. OKJ is fine, but Horizon is a grade higher. You may find that you wish you bought a larger Horizon.

You will notice a difference jumping up to a Horizon. OKJ is fine, but Horizon is a grade higher. You may find that you wish you bought a larger Horizon.
Yeah I wish I could get the 20” but bass pro in Canada only stocks the 16”. Sucks.

If you have the cash, horizon i think will ship to Canada. go with a 20" and pay the money and feel the pain once or save the money and feel the pain every time you use the smoker. OKJ can produce great food but with a smoker like a horizon you don't have to make a lot of modifications and once you get into the higher quality equipment you do not want to go with anything else. I wish you well getting a new smoker!

Happy Smoking,
phatbac (Aaron)

If you have the cash, horizon i think will ship to Canada. go with a 20" and pay the money and feel the pain once or save the money and feel the pain every time you use the smoker. OKJ can produce great food but with a smoker like a horizon you don't have to make a lot of modifications and once you get into the higher quality equipment you do not want to go with anything else. I wish you well getting a new smoker!

Happy Smoking,
phatbac (Aaron)
Yeah unfortunately they told me they wouldn’t ship to Canada. I’d have to ship to the border and go pick it up. Upgrading to the 20” would be over $1000 all considering so not sure if it’s worth it vs. The 16”. I think I could do 2 briskets on the 16”, probably 3-4 on the 20” but rarely would I do more than 2 and I have an electric masterbuilt as well. Not sure if the $1000+ upgrade would be worth it? Do you think the 16” horizon won’t hold heat?
I was also considering just building my own 20”.

At that price difference I can see why you're looking at the 16". It'll cook just as well as the 20", I just find 16" to be the absolute minimum because I cook a lot of ribs and a couple of extra inches makes all the difference depending on how you orient them in the cooker.

You might find a Yoder you like. They have dealers in Canada. Yoders are probably equal to or better than Horizons and either is better than a new OKJ.

You might find a Yoder you like. They have dealers in Canada. Yoders are probably equal to or better than Horizons and either is better than a new OKJ.
Thanks. I’ve looked at a yoder but they sell pellet grills into Canada mainly. I got a quote to get a offset from one of their sellers and it was about 3k. So the 16” horizon is $1,300.. for me to get a 20” horizon would be $2,300 and the yoder is $3,000.

Yeah I wish I could get the 20” but bass pro in Canada only stocks the 16”. Sucks.
[/QUOT
Hi Davefortier bass pro in Canada will order the Horizon 20 inch or any Horizon on there website for you free delivery to the store. I got the Horizon 24 inch Marshal from bass pro Vaughan Ontario. It is a beast and I love it.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky