New smoker

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

smokingwxman

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Jun 30, 2016
I have a cousin who is wanting to get a pellet smoker. I’ve only used an offset stick burner so thought I’d get some advice here

He doesn’t want to drop a ton of money on a trager. He mentioned big horn and pit boss smokers. Also a Jim Bowie green mountain. Does anyone know much about these?

Thats real helpful moto :rolleyes: ,he will need to know the smoke flavor will be lighter with a pellet grill and if he can get a sample of some thing cooked on 1 to decide if he likes the flavor profile,Pit Boss here and like it just fine

I have a cousin who is wanting to get a pellet smoker. I’ve only used an offset stick burner so thought I’d get some advice here

He doesn’t want to drop a ton of money on a trager. He mentioned big horn and pit boss smokers. Also a Jim Bowie green mountain. Does anyone know much about these?

I have a Yoder 640. The more I use it the more I love it. It will smoke long & slow with no effort and it will sear a great steak. I looked at all of the different units from Treager, Rec-Tec, Pitboss ect. I chose the Yoder bc its made in America, its brutally thick and heavy, & it has a great warranty. From what I've read, most all pellet smokers will produce a similar product of meat. Do you want a thin tin box or a heavy guage steel tank?

So I can't comment on the Treager or any pellet grill personally as I don't own one buuuuuuut I've been looking at them for some time and just haven't quite had the money to pull the trigger yet. I'm looking for something that's obviously a quality product but not too hard on the wallet. I've sorta narrowed it down to my top two, both of which are about the same price. The Campchef woodwind (without the sear box for saving $$) and the Grilla Grills Silverbac. I'm leaning more towards the silverbac but time will tell.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky