New Smoker

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

smokindogz

Original poster
Apr 18, 2017
Hi eveyone! 

I live in Eastern Iowa near Iowa City and I am excited to start my smoking adventures! I have a Char Broil propane smoker. I have done pork loin, and pork butt. I have also took a shot a cheese, which worked pretty well with a gas smoker.  As of tonight I am preparing to smoke a bone in shoulder and a chicken for a family get together. I have both meats brining right now and have a favorite rub ready to go. I was wondering if any one has any tips or suggestions on timing. I have a 7.5lbs butt and 4lbs chicken. I plan on using apple and hickory to smoke both meats. 

Welcome to SMF!

At 225 your butt may take about 14 hours or so & the chicken just 2 or 3 hours.

Al

My smoker likes to run at 250-275*. I have done a butt that size in 6 hours with no stall, but I would allow 8-10 to be safe. Chickens will be a couple of hours, depending on where you can place them.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky