New smoker with questions

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

cc54636

Original poster
Jan 12, 2015
Hi my friends call me CC and after checking out smokers in my price range I am purchasing a Masterbuilt Pro Dual Fuel 20050412 smoker. After a lot of research I see this model needs a few modifications one being an 8" cast iron skillet placed on top of the pan because when you place chips directly in the pan they tend to catch on fire. I believe that most people are buying an 8" pan and I was thinking of an 8" griddle instead to keep a lower profile. What do you think? Another modification was to purchase an adjustable regulator / hose assembly. I'm looking at the Bayou Classic 0-30 PSI. Any thoughts here. The last but not least I am purchasing a good digital thermometer because the reviews say the one it comes with is not that good.

Now a bit about me ... I have lived in the mid west all my life. I am from Wisconsin and yes I hope to smoke some cheese at some point in time. I have worked in healthcare for many years and enjoy helping people. A few years back I discovered geocaching and get out to see many new sights I might have missed sitting on the couch. We've had more cold than snow here and I am waiting on a good day to get out and do some snow shoeing at some point in time.

Looking forward to learning new insights on smoking different kinds meats and cheeses.

CC

texas.gif
  Good afternoon and welcome to the forum, from a chilly and overcast day here in East Texas. Lots of great people with tons of information on just about  everything.

Gary

I have a duel fuel and I'm pretty happy with it. I use the 8" cast iron skillet but instead of placing it on the original pan I bought some 3/4" square tube and sit it on two pieces of that placed on the burner opening. This allows more direct heat to the pan and gets the smoke going faster then when I sat it on the original pan. I also bought some nomex 1/2"X1/8" self adhesive seal for the doors. I plan on getting the bayou regulator next. I think the extra fine control will be a plus as the stock knob makes pretty large jumps in temp with even the slightest turn. Other than that I am quite happy with the unit. Especially considering the price.

Welcome from Louisiana. You will find a wealth of knowledge here from members who are happy to share it. Don't hesitate to ask questions and take advantage of the search bar.

Glad you joined the group. The search bar at the top of any page is your best friend.
About anything you wanna know about smoking/grilling/curing/brining/cutting or slicing
and the list goes on has probably been posted. Remember to post a QVIEW of your smokes.
We are all smoke junkies here and we have to get our fix. If you have questions
Post it and you will probably get 10 replies with 11 different answers. That is
because their are so many different ways to make great Q...
Happy smoken.
David

Congrats on the new smoker, be sure and post some pictures

Gary

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky