New smoker reccomendations

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Cj7851

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Jun 22, 2019
Wheeling, WV
I posted this the other day but wasn't getting much traction realized I probably should have put it on this thread.

So right now I have an mes 30 and have had great success. I am looking to do a major upgrade. One of my main issues is cooking space I do quite a bit of hosting for church events and such. Also just looking to take things to the next level. I am strongly leaning towards an offset stick smoker. However, I have a few concerns/questions.

1. I imagine the learning curve is pretty steep especially going from electric. I guess what I'm worried about is will this thing take me a year to get down or should most people be able to get it after a handful of test runs. I don't mind a challenge at all I quite enjoy learning and mastering something new. I just want to be able to still put out good food for events. Also I can make due with my MES while I learn.

2. Wood chips and pellets are readily available. Where do you all get your wood? Right now my primary woods are hickory, apple, and cherry but I also like to play around with others.

3. What is your opinion on reverse flow smokers?

4. What smokers do you recommend? As I said will need something fairly large probably about double the cook space of my mes 30. Which theoretically I could do 3 Boston butts on (prbly really only handle 2 without taking an absurd amount of time.) I fairly regularly cook for 20-30.

Thanks in advance.

A stick burner definitely has a learning curve. Once learned though, puts out great tasting food. Easiest and most simple is a pellet grill. Get one with a PID controller and it's pretty much set and forget. There are many out there within pretty much every budget.

Have been an electric and propane guy. Just new to the pellet scene and find it quite nice, no babysitting. Stick from what I understand , needs a lot of attention. Puts out fabulous food though.

Reactions: Blues1
I have gotten chunks from this company for my electric smoker. They also sell splits and such. Good quality. I liked my old off-set but it did take baby sitting and as I got older I did not enjoy the regular feeding of wood. Went electric and thoroughly enjoy the food it produces. Smokin-it offers so rather large electric smokers that might meet your needs. For stick burners, Yoder and Lang come to mind as does Oklahoma Joes. Good luck!
https://fruitawoodchunks.com/shop?olsPage=t/wood-for-smoking

Reactions: Lonzinomaker
When my neighbors fire up there pellet grills nobody hardly notices, but when I fire up my Shirley reverse flow all the neighbors show up to see what I've got going in there. A reverse flow puts out amazing food. Yes there is a bit of a learning curve but its not rocket science. Our ancestors have been cooking with wood for thousands of years and a quality reverse flow cooker just simplifies the process.

Wood is a lot easier for me to obtain than what I thought it would be. A local tree removal service supplies me with all the hickory, oak and cherry I need.

As far as brands of cookers the only thing I would recommend is to get a heavy quality built smoker that is at least a 1/4" thick, 3/8" is even better. Smokers made with thin steel will vary in temperature too much to produce a quality product consistently.

My first recommendation would be to find a local source for your wood, stick burners go through quite a bit of wood. Mine averages 1 split every 30 to 50 min. As far as brands my top 3 would be Shirley Fab, Lang, and Meadow Creek, but there are literally 100's of brands out there.

Reactions: phatbac
Second Old Sarge in that you should check out Smokin-It. They have some large smokers. I have the #3 and could put 4 butts in easily. Have done 8 racks of ribs in it.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky