New smoker/grill advice

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

kmonroe99

Original poster
May 7, 2021
New to pellet grills/smokers. Looking for recommendations for small(ish) smoker/grill; not for tailgating or camping, just would like small footprint due to existing propane and Kamado Joe. Grill would be in open side carport in SE FL if that matters.

Desired features: primarily smoking but grilling would be nice; high temp for final sear would be nice; easy ash/grease cleanup; PID controller would probably be nice; budget would be under$1000, preferably under $500.

Yes I know vertical cabinet smokers take less footprint than horizontal grill types, but they might be too limited especially if I can find a smaller grill type.

Reactions: JLeonard
Have you smoked anything in your K Joe? Seems like you got a good set up now. I'm all for more toys, but not sure what you'd gain with another smoker. With what you described an Camp Chef with sear station or possible a gravity fed charcoal would work.

Have you smoked anything in your K Joe? Seems like you got a good set up now. I'm all for more toys, but not sure what you'd gain with another smoker. With what you described an Camp Chef with sear station or possible a gravity fed charcoal would work.
I was thinking a pellet device would be a little less work than starting/feeding the charcoal and playing with dampers.

high temp for final sear would be nice;

I agree the CC with sear station would be a good choice. The problem going from smoking to high temp searing on most pellet grills, is that low and slow can produce a lot of grease and if you bump it to high temp, there's a risk of grease fire and smoke.

Reactions: PPG1 and kmonroe99
I agree the CC with sear station would be a good choice. The problem going from smoking to high temp searing on most pellet grills, is that low and slow can produce a lot of grease and if you bump it to high temp, there's a risk of grease fire and smoke.
I sear on the egg, smoke on the MAK.

Welcome to the site. A sear box is a gas grill, he has 1 of those and why pay for another 1, spend your $ on a smoker , a pit boss has a slide and you can flame grill a couple steaks at a time. I find a sear isn't needed when I use the smoker on a steak, that's my theory on them any way,

I vote for the MB Gravity Flow 560/800/1050. Small footprint and you need charcoal for your other units . I have the 1050 and love it. Smokes/ sears and the twist of a dial...or click of the phone.
And welcome to SMF from SE Ga !
Keith

The flame/heat diverter and sloped tray in all these pellet grills is all for grease control and fire prevention, and secondarily provide uniform temps over the intended cooking surfaces. Both very important if you're doing 30 pounds of chicken thighs.

But for most of my cooking, I use neither. A large cast iron frying pan is the best accessory there is for a pellet grill. Build a stand for it out of small rebar that spaces it .5-1" above the top of the crucible. Put a few thicknesses of pellets in it for some extra smoke. For a pork butt, it's plenty big to catch any drippings. For steak, clean it, apply some oil, bring it to temp and sear away--hot and fast and pink in the middle.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky