New Smoker from Santa

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

idacoolguy

Original poster
Nov 29, 2012
Brambleton, VA
Hey everyone, just got my first smoker for Christmas yesterday and before I opened the box I wanted to check in to get your opinions.  I had asked for the MES 30 (model: 20070910) but received the analog version (model: 20070210).  I have been reading the forums for about a month now anticipating I would get this and I really had my mind set on the MES 30, it seemed to be a very popular choice around here.

My question is, besides the digital vs analog controls are there any other differences in the units?  As I said, I'm brand new to smoking so any thoughts and insight would be very helpful.

Thanks guys!

I think that the MES is a better smoker than the analog model primarily because of the MES's (better) thermostat control and insulated body helping to keep the temps more stable at a desired temperature. The design differences in how you place wood chips/chunks in the two smokers is not that important if you use the AMNPS instead to generate smoke. If you can, you might consider returning the analog model for the MES model. As you get more experience with smoking over time, you will likely be glad you got the MES. Just  my opinion...

Last edited:
Rem, when Hyundai first arrived in USA,  very cheap, no frills, bottom dollar car. 

The analog Masterbuilt electric smoker vs the digital MES is  Hyundai vs Honda Accord.  Both will get you to where you want to go, but one has features that make it easier and a more enjoyable journey.

BTW my wife & daughter each drive a Hyundai, and my son used to drive one.  They really are not bad cars if you can get past brand recognition.

My question is, besides the digital vs analog controls are there any other differences in the units?
1. No meat temp. probe  

2. No way to load wood chips without having to open the door. The MES has a external wood chip loader.

3. The analogs have legs.

4. The analogs have smaller water pans.

5. The analogs have an 1500 or 1800 watt heating element. Your model has the 1500 watt

6. The exhaust is on the back of the unit and is not adjustable.

7. Price

I have the digital model very easy to use holds temp very well. I would return it if you can for the dig also buy a maverick dig thermoator,I use temp rather than time. I find the meat will be up to temp befor time table is acheived. ie 1hr per pound x 8# = 8hrs

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky