New smoker coming

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Uncrateing
LSG 4.JPG

LSG 3.JPG
LSG 5.JPG

LSG 6.JPG

Need to get a couples of friends to help get it in the back yard (850#)
Will post more when I season it.

I have a fireboard and fan but I’m intending to learn to control this thing manually first. So, in my vast wisdom I thought, which is never a good thing, I got this. This is charcoal not a stick burner so just build the fire. What’s the big deal? So, I set up the dividers way wider than the pictures show. (pictures have it divided into quarters. (I had it in thirds) Load about 20# of KB briquettes to the top of the dividers, per instructions, then light a full chimney of coals. Once they’re all glowing dump them in, open the ball valve and top vent wide and close the doors easy peasey. Shooting for 250°F to 275°F for 3 to 6 hours.

Everything going well, up to 150 °F in 15 minutes, 200°F in 45 minutes so it’s time to close the top vent and ball valve ½ way. At about 1 hour it hits 250°F so I close the valve to about ⅛ open, per instructions. Still climbing, okay. 275°F 15 minutes later, okay……..wait it’s still climbing slower but still climbing. Damn 300°F, now what? Shut ball valve 99% and top vent to just a crack open and………..still climbing 325°F! Damn it all to heck.

I DON’T got this! Close valve, open door to lower temp and it goes right back up when I shut the door. Pour some water in the pan to cool it down, didn’t help. And so it went for the next 4 hours. Is THIS what you all mean when you say “then I spent the rest of the time chasing temperature”? I think I used way too much fuel. About 8 hours in, valve and top still shut, it finally cooled down to 250°F! Tomorrow, smaller fire and try again he says embarrassed as all get out.

Okay here goes the 2nd try, vast wisdom acknowledged as definitely questionable at best and possibly not useful at all. Dividers set like pictures. Much less charcoal this time, ½ chimney lit. Valve and top vent as before. It’s on, as before 150°F in 15 minutes, 200°F in 45 minutes. I close the top vent about ½ way and ball valve so it’s ¼ open. Playing it more cautious this time. Slowly climbing then it seems to have stalled at 230°F. Opened top full and temp climbed to 240°F, it’s been 1½ hours. Opened ball valve to ½. At 2¼ hours temp is 285°F closed valve to ⅛ and top to ½ and it seems to have settled at 280°F which I can live with and my face is not as red as yesterday.

I have come a lot closer this time. So, my “bigger is always better axiom” has proven not to be true this time. Smoking on the YS640 is a no brainer. Grilling and searing steaks and chicken or cooking some hot dogs and hamburgers requires some control abilities. But I’m looking at learning a whole new level here. I am developing a new RESPECT for you offset guys.

Reactions: joetee
Just received an email From Lone Star Grillz. They have started fabrication of my unit! They said 10 to 14 business days to fab and then ship from Texas to California. Waiting, waiting, waiting. Excited!
I'm still waiting for my LSG, 20x36 offset. The waiting game sucks but I think it will be well worth the wait.

Reactions: ofelles
joetee said
"I'm still waiting for my LSG, 20x36 offset. The waiting game sucks but I think it will be well worth the wait."
Yes the wait seems forever. But once you get it then happy begins!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Reactions: joetee
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky