New Smoker Build Idea

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

joetony72

Original poster
May 24, 2014
Syracuse, NY
I am starting a new build and I was looking for thoughts on some of my ideas. I have a concrete patio that I am building a BBQ, smoking, grilling area on the end. I am going to build the smoker with a concrete block base, about 18" high, and a wood smoking chamber about 4' high 3' wide 18" deep. The smoke will be coming from a fire box about 5 feet away. I plan on having a couple of rods to hang meat from to smoke along with a couple of smoking shelves. Here are the thoughts I would love feed back on:
1. I am using a heating element in the bottom of the smoker to regulate the temperature, any ideas on if the fire pit 5 feet away is far enough to not cause major temperature fluctuations?
2. Does any one have experience with hanging meat to smoke it, and how much room do you leave below the hanging rack?
3. I live in upstate New York and want to smoke year round. Any ideas of how to insulate the smoker part to keep it warm in those cold winter nights? I was thinking foam board with wood on both sides.

Reactions: Walchit
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky