New Smoker and a Chuckie Smorgasbord

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Co4ch D4ve

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Nov 30, 2017
Cincinnati, Ohio
First of all a big shout out to Joedube70 for the smoker! He listed it here on our forum, I bought it and I think we both are happy about it!

For the first smoke on my new 24x48 Lone Starz offset I decided on 4 chuckies. As you can see, my new smoker is a little bigger than my old Smoker! This smoker was very easy to get to temperature and keep at temperature. I started it with a chimney of charcoal and from then used only hickory. Only needed a split every hour or so to keep it at 225-250. I filled the bottom of the CC with about 2 inches of water. Not sure if that helped maintain temps or added any moisture but it didn’t hurt.
877BA638-A0CB-493A-AB09-66A8C3067BFF.jpeg

The first 2 chuckies are seasoned with my Barbacoa rub (see link in signature) and will be only smoked for about 3 hours. They will then be frozen for future taco dinners. No foil on these 2.
D107E55D-CAE8-4188-8CA1-3EAF778FEB67.jpeg

The next chuckie is seasoned with kosher salt and black pepper and will be shredded for sandwiches tonight. I took this chuckie up to about 160 degrees and then placed in a foil pan with beef broth, covered and pulled at about 200 degrees.
26D49EBF-6824-4F32-85DC-94E8E098686E.jpeg

The last chuckie is seasoned with my BBQ rub and will be finished as burnt ends to snack on. I foiled as with the other roast after cubing and adding rub and sauce. Finished uncovered.
C101763E-6380-4C4E-9BF3-A91F39FF2F7E.jpeg

The 2 Barbacoa chuckies coming off the smoker after 3 hours.
F113D260-9ED3-423D-9F02-9F2BE58541BF.jpeg

The burnt ends before and after saucing.
264F0CDD-F95A-435B-B7F6-3073D33C74C3.jpeg

14571DD0-76FD-4543-9D78-5CC6E3568570.jpeg

The shredded chuckie.
CD7837D7-7512-4C11-9A9B-80D3DCEAADF6.jpeg

My plate.
93F6BCFD-069F-499D-8173-3FDE17E485AD.jpeg

Thanks for looking, and again... thanks Joe for a great smoker!

Last edited:
Thanks everyone for the comments. I really liked using the new smoker. Lots of room inside (seemed empty with 4 chuckies) and easy to use. I’m also looking forward to using the grill/griddle over the firebox for a reverse sear on some chops and steaks.

Congrats on the new smoker! Food looks killer... I have been meaning to ask, seriously you use that much clove in the rub? Seems a bit much.

Zwillers... After looking online at other barbacoa recipes, your right, I am heavy on the clove. It tastes great to us so we must be clove people? Adjust accordingly I guess.

What’s round on the ends and high in the middle? O-HI-O

Love my Skyline Chili and gave up Pop about 2 years ago. I’m straight water and beer now! Not necessarily in that order...

Nice, very very nice.

Point for sure.

Chris

DANG!!! I have about swore off Chucky Burnt ends, my attempts have all been dry and chewy compared to their brisket cousin. Last couple I just pulled and did some as BBQ Beef for the wife, and Barbocoa for myself. The pics of your burnt ends make me what to give them another shot.

Love the new rig, I recently added a camp chef griddle to my arsenal and just keep finding ways to use it, between it and the smoker, the stove hasn't been used in weeks! That griddle will come in handy for your next batch of barbacoa tacos.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky