new smokehouse build

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
i also believe that to get air out you need air in...I would not attempt to build a firebox with out a large air intake that can be opened or closed as needed to keep the air flowing in the direction you need it. without it you have stale smoke and air...you need the oxygen to keep the smoke hot...Of course to much and you have fire but to little you just smolder...again just my opinion..jeff

Well I am pleased to say that I did a 4 hour run tonight after working on the smoker for 8 hours and it was absolutely amazing.
Thanks Dave and everybody else who commented on the gaps of the wood. sealed up 60%of the gaps just on the walls and it worked magnificent. I left the roof alone
I also drilled enough 1.5" holes to open the exhaust up more than I needed to which let me get very clean smoke.
Heated it up to 200 in 35min which I was very pleased with and was able to control the temp very close to 200 for almost 3.5 hours with very little effort.
I was running the intakes at half power which is right where I was hoping to be because I have a lot of play built in them for more or less heat.
Gonna do a trial run on a few shoulders tomorrow and if all goes well will start taking meat out to do sausage tomorrow night.
I think it's finally working how it should
Now the fun begins

Last edited:
Excellent !!!!  
icon14.gif

Now can post some pictures of this bad boy in action. Got my shoulder on for dinner and this thing is running beautiful. Its taking 2 3x3 logs an hour to keep a very consistent 225 degrees. Got my thermometers in 6 different spots and there's no more than a 5 degree difference between them. Meats been on for 6 hours and haven't touched the dampers in the last 5 hours.

Well......   Sounds like the plan came together....   Good deal me thinks....  Got any pics of the smoke leaking out of the smokehouse ??

Very uniform smoke distribution....   That's the way it is supposed to be....   that explains the uniform temps...    Meat looks great....  nice job... 

A fine example of how a smoker should be tuned for great results...  As the wood dries out and the gaps open up a bit, another batten or 4 may be needed to maintain the consistency....    Just thinking out loud....  Maybe on the roof portion, to slow down the chimney effect....

Dave

Thanks everybody. Would have taken me way longer without this sites help. I will be a lifelong member for sure.
Now the real work begins! Should I start a different thread on my sausage or just keep going on this one for anybody that's been watching my progress?

Dave your right in the 50 hours this thing has probably been running now I'm already getting cold spots. But it's only when I'm using 2 racks for the snack sticks. Temp looks within 10 degrees all around but my snack sticks have a 30 degree difference from left to right. Left is the firebox side and is the colder side. Seems it should be the opposite.

If the left side has a higher air flow rate, it could be evaporative cooling of the sticks...   Is the air temp higher above the firebox or can you tell...   There are so many things happening inside a smokehouse...   circulating air currents....   humidity differences...   

I've been inside commercial SS smokers that had 5,000 #'s of meat hanging in them and the operator knew exactly where the cool spots were...  Those were the go to areas to check for final temp on the smoker load...   Those smokers had HUGE recirculating fans to try and equalize the temps and couldn't do it..

30 degrees is a bunch...   I know that will keep you awake at night trying to figure it out....

One thing to try is.....   Adjusting where the heat/smoke enters the smokehouse...   sometimes making adjustments that seem WRONG can fix the problem....   That's the way it goes for me at times.....

If the left side has a higher air flow rate, it could be evaporative cooling of the sticks...   Is the air temp higher above the firebox or can you tell...   There are so many things happening inside a smokehouse...   circulating air currents....   humidity differences...   
I've been inside commercial SS smokers that had 5,000 #'s of meat hanging in them and the operator knew exactly where the cool spots were...  Those were the go to areas to check for final temp on the smoker load...   Those smokers had HUGE recirculating fans to try and equalize the temps and couldn't do it..

30 degrees is a bunch...   I know that will keep you awake at night trying to figure it out....

One thing to try is.....   Adjusting where the heat/smoke enters the smokehouse...   sometimes making adjustments that seem WRONG can fix the problem....   That's the way it goes for me at times.....
The crazy part is according to temp gauges it's very close everywhere! Maybe 10 degrees max. That's why I'm thinking possibly airflow. Cuz I'm guessing even a 10 degree difference in temperature moving way faster by the sticks could cook them quicker? The reason I'm thinking that is the larger gaps opposite of the firebox on the roof. They have way more smoke stains on that side of the roof than the other which leads me to believe there's more airflow there. I will go take some pictures. Did you check out my sausage fest I had this weekend? Was a lot of work but well worth it.

This is the right side. Opposite of the firebox. The more I used it temps were getting a little more inconsistent above and below the meat. But I just figured that was because the heat was losing temperature rising through the meat. I had this thing working perfect I thought and from what i can tell the only thing that changed was exhaust gaps in the roof

Well, now it's time to take a S.W.A.G.....  Give it your best shot.....  take notes.... 

I think I would batten a few of the highest roof cracks...    Is there any air entering at any of the cracks on the side of the house....  like the house is acting as a chimney and sucking in cold air...

Well, now it's time to take a S.W.A.G.....  Give it your best shot.....  take notes.... 

I think I would batten a few of the highest roof cracks...    Is there any air entering at any of the cracks on the side of the house....  like the house is acting as a chimney and sucking in cold air...
maybe a tiny little bit by the foundation but that would be next to nothing. The gable ends are both open and not sealed either but that's above the meat.
Just thought of this. Maybe where the smoke pipe is. I haven't sealed that at all. I just have a 1/4in plate over the 8x8 hole. That would make so much sense and maybe you wouldn't notice it much with the thicker hunks of meat. Better go get some mineral wool insulation

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky