NEW Pulled Pork Method* 2-2-1 type approach

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

mkedda

Fire Starter
Original poster
Jun 11, 2009
I am curious, has anyone ever considered a 2-2-1 type approach with Pulled Pork.

Here is what I am thinking. Smoke at 225 until Internal temperature reaches 160. Foil and smoke until IT temperature reaches 185. Unfoil and smoke until 200. 

Wrap back in foil and place in cooler for about 2 hours.

Wouldnt this give you a nice bark but keep the benefits of the foil process?

I've done this and it works great. Does exactly what you would think it would do. I actually run the temp on the smoker up on the last part to dry out the outside bark from the foiling part.

Tell you what, i have done my last couple butts with no foil at all...you lose no tenderness or moisture from my experience.  MAYBE a touch drier on the meat closest to the outside but with a finishing sauce not noticable.  Bark is great.  maybe i will give this a try.  I just gave up on foil because i never liked how it came out of my WSM after the foil...but i do like the bark now. 

icon_cool.gif

So where's the 2-2-1 come into play??? You want to smoke the butt just like you would do. You just want to take it out of the foil and crisp up the bark on the thing??? So just smoke it without the foil then. I have done it that way a few times and it comes out good and very moist as usual so. You do it and don't forget the Q-view. 

The reason I did it this way is when I use the MES I would smoke the butt up until the time I was gonna go to bed (about 4 hours).... wrap in a foil pan... set the MES on 200 and go to sleep. When I woke up.. I would take the butt out of the foil, pour off the juice and slam it back in the MES set on 275 for about an hour. Gave me a really nice bark.

it may look something like this 6(no foil) - 6(foil) - 1(no foil)

icon_cool.gif

So where's the 2-2-1 come into play??? You want to smoke the butt just like you would do. You just want to take it out of the foil and crisp up the bark on the thing??? So just smoke it without the foil then. I have done it that way a few times and it comes out good and very moist as usual so. You do it and don't forget the Q-view. 

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky