New Propane Smoker.... Heat Issue

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

joeyfine

Fire Starter
Original poster
Apr 25, 2013
Akron, OH
Hello All..

I got a master built pro mds 230s dual fuel smoker the other day and i am having some issues. trying to get the temp up to 225 i am having combustion issues with the flame and the wood. I feel like the wood chip pan is poorly made with the stupid vents in it. Is there something i can do to keep my wood from bursting into flames and keeping my temps normal?

Welcome! Have the same smoker. I learned most guys use a CI pan instead of the chip pan. Definitely helps with flare ups and adds a little thermal mass. My smoker had the opposite issue. She always wanted to run hot. Some guys instal needle valves but I caved and went MES. That said, smoked some killer stuff on the dual fuel and it's a beet move for poultry since it can hit higher temps. Best of luck!

You can cover the chip pan with foil that has a few pencil sized holes in it for air supply... Or you can use chunks...
1 singular piece of wood will not burn... use 2, you can have a fire... DO NOT STACK THE WOOD... I use what I call "cookies" in one of my smokers and they work great... I use Alder for smoking salmon.. I cut them on my miter saw or use a saws-all.. so oil is not introduced...

..... 67502bb8_Hotplatecookiespan.jpg

Thanks guys. I did the foil trick but i had about 40 pounds of pork shoulder in the smoker and the flames eventually broke through the foil. it was a messy flare up. So do you put the wood next to the burner daveomak daveomak ?

Not using the water pan AKA drip tray? Line with foil and pitch when cool.

Put the wood in the chip pan.. Be sure it sits flat in the pan... and that's it... Place it on the support frame so it gets heat and can smoke... If it smokes too much, elevate the pan higher above the flame or turn the flame down... With propane, it can be a problem... However, adjusting the flame for a cooler flame is a possibility...
A needle valve to reduce the propane flow along with reducing the number of holes in the burner have worked very well.. One member used nails, clipped shorter, to block 1/2 the flame holes... Makes for a more user friendly gas smoker... Seems most manufacturers have trouble making a gas smoker that works well in the low temp range...

Thanks guys. I did the foil trick but i had about 40 pounds of pork shoulder in the smoker and the flames eventually broke through the foil. it was a messy flare up. So do you put the wood next to the burner daveomak daveomak ?

Burner BTU reductiion.JPG Burner BTU reductiion2.JPG Burner BTU reductiion3.JPG

My pepper and onion sausages came out fantastic!

Attachments

• IMG_5867.jpeg
    IMG_5867.jpeg
    88.7 KB · Views: 37
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky