New Pit Boss Model at Walmart

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I received the new controller. Now it connects to my phone and WiFi. The app will allow you to see probe temps and adjust the temp. The app will send you alerts when desired grill temp is reached. You can enter desired probe temp, but there is not an alert and it will not remember you set it when you lock your phone. I am hoping they will fix that issue as probe alarms are essential.

Not the exact same thing as the WM grill in question, but I purchased the Lowes exclusive Pro 1150 that I think is functionally the same. I’ve run it 5 times now (a burn in to clean up whatever factory oils were on it, another to sort of season it with some oil, a chicken and some steaks, a pork loin, and now a couple of chuck roasts). I have been happy so far, but today I have noticed I can’t get it to run at low temps (225-250º gets me into the 170-180º range). If I set it to 300º, it’ll run there just fine, but you might be able to appreciate that essentially not having an option between 180 and 300 is less than ideal. One item to note is that it’s not even remarkably cold today, about 40º.

Anyway, I’m not super concerned, but I did call and they’re sending me a new I think control board? I’m not sure what it is, exactly but the dude said 3-4 weeks. The grill is usable as is, but if there’s some way to make it better/more accurate, I’m interested in that.

Temp options from the app and grill are limited, which I think is BS. 225, 250, 300, 350, 400, 450, 500. I think. There might be others, but the primary point is that you most certainly don’t get the option to dial in temps by 5º increments or anything like that.
I have the same issues with my 1150. I am getting no support from PB regarding the 1150 holding any temps below 300.

Any one else roll the dice on one of these yet? I purchased mine and it came with a defective control board. Fan keeps cutting off and only turns on when auger is feeding pellets and it takes 27 minutes just to get to 240° Pit boss has no timeline when new control boards will be in stock so now have to haul it back to Wal Mart and get a new one. Debating on getting an older model and wanted to see if anyone else was having issues with this new unit.

I was perusing grills on walmart.com and came across what appears to be a new model:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Pit-Boss-Platinum-Laredo-1000-Pellet-Grill/269430405

The styling looks similar to some of the other Walmart/Pit Boss pellet grills. I like that it was an updated control board and some stainless components. Price seems pretty solid too.

Just FYI in case anyone is in the market.
I bought it! So far so good but a lot to learn about it. Anyone else have one?

i'm currently awaiting delivery for mine - hopefully this Friday. are you happy with yours? this will be my 1st pellet smoker.
This is also my first pellet grill / smoker and there is a significant learning curve compared to other types of smokers. When your heat source and smoke Source are the same, he takes precedence. This means that sometimes you just don't get as much smoke as you might like. My answer to that has been using a tube smoker in addition to add more smoke. Overall I'm pretty happy so far.

If I may add…. Goodwyne gave some very honest and helpful information for adding smoke, but you do have options when it comes to adding/increasing the smoke from a pellet grill. First, it’s important to learn your smoker. Your new PB Platinum Series Laredo Pellet Grill has a temp “Smoke” setting, which allows it to produce the most smoke at the beginning of a bbq. The Smoke setting temp is around 160* degrees and a quote from the Smokers owners manual… Operating Instructions… To intensify that savory flavor, switch to SMOKE (low) temperature range immediately after putting your food on the smoker. This allows the smoke to penetrate the meats, before the pores of the meat close at 49°C / 120°F.
The key is to experiment with the length of time you allow for smoking, before the meal is finished cooking. End quote…

Overall, Pellet Smokers are best designed to be used Low and Slow for the most smoke production. Temps from 160* degrees to 200* degrees produces the most pellet smoke. Pellet Grills can also go Hot and Fast, but remember, temps above 250* degrees produces almost no smoke at all…. The key is learning your Smoker and don’t take any shortcuts in the proper operation of your new pellet smoker. Give the pellet grill only smoke flavor profile a try first and see how you like it. It might be just right for you….
Now, if you realize after your first couple of cooks, that the pellet smoke is lacking, you do have other options to increase the smoke production in your smoker. As mentioned by Goodwyne, you can add a pellet smoke tube to help generate more smoke. You can use straight pellets or you can use a mixture of wood pellets and wood chips in the smoke tube. Another option that I’ve found to work great, is adding a Smoke Basket… It does require some extra work at the beginning of a bbq, but having the ability to add true Hardwood and Charcoal smoke to the pellet grill experience to me is a Game Changer.
Image.jpeg

The cost investment of adding a Smoke Basket is not very much and you’ll have the ability to add true Hardwood and Charcoal smoke to your bbq’s. There are steps that have to be followed, but the end results are fantastic. Lastly, another option is installing a Smoke Generator, but those can be expensive. Give the pellet grill “Smoke”temp setting a try first and see how you like it. If you find the smoke lacking, then give the Pellet Smoke Tube a shot. It’ll still give you the Set it and Forget it-freedom from your pellet grill as well. and lastly, if you find the pellet smoke flavor profile is still lacking, then give the Smoke Basket option a try. I can’t say it enough, the only way to enjoy true Hardwood and Charcoal Smoke is from true Hardwood and Charcoal. And a few tips…Keep your new smoker clean, download any software updates for your grills PID Controller from Pit Boss when they are available and get into a habit of dumping the pellet ash from the burn pot after every cook.. A clean/empty burn pot from old pellet ash will help eliminate a lot of problems from happening…. and have fun….

Pellet Pro Austin XL and a few more mods…. In SoCal and Always…. Semper Fi

Reactions: njshooter
I appreciate RCAlan's comments. As I said, there is quite a learning curve going to a pellet grill for the first time. I expect I'm going to be learning for some time to come. Overall I am quite happy with the smoker!

I was initially impressed but I don't like the flame slider. Always has a bad hotspot because the firepot itself doesn't have it's own deflector. OKJ pellet grill has the same problem. They should at least sell a deflector for smoking that you can throw in under the drip pan to sit over the firepot opening. I made my own.
Can you share pics of the deflector you made?

2 weeks now & 4 cooks. 1st one was simple pork chops. nicely done. 2nd was 2x3lb tri tip steaks. slow @ 225 till they hit 125. then held on side till sides done (baked potatoes) and left grill humming then turned it high and opened the gate to flame char - very nice. 3rd cook was some filet steaks - again, slow cooked to temp and flame chared. 1st 3 cooks were w/pitboss competition pellets. cleared the hopper & switched to apple pellets. tonite was some chick legs & thighs bone in. sprinkled w/seasoning. cooked @ 225 for about 1.24 hour on apple pellets till internal temp was 160. brushed w/sauce & 5 more minutes or so. pulled/sat & served w/ roasted brussel sprouts & some fresh bread. VERY GOOD. will find a pic to post. looking forward to using the apple pellets to do a low/long smoke of a pork cali-picnic shoulder I got this week for some pulled pork. overall quite happy w/the Laredo.

RipC1ty$moker, here’s a burn pot/hot spot heat diffuser option for you to check out.
Image.jpeg

Image_1.jpeg

Image_2.jpeg

It’s the SmokeDaddy 10 gauge steel heat diffuser that’s only $49.00. FYI…. I see that they have an updated one that’s designed for Pit Boss pellet grills now. https://smokedaddyinc.com/product/oem-replacment-heat-diffuser-heavy-duty-10-gauge/
The original one that’s in the pictures needed to be modified due to its height, but the updated one is designed for Pit Boss grills. No more hot spot at the center of the grill now and no creosote buildup on it either going on 1-1/2 years. If you have any questions, just give them a call first before you place an order and ask for Dennis, he’s the owner. Great family owned company as well.

Pellet Pro Austin XL and a few more mods… In SoCal and Always… Semper Fi

Last edited:
RipC1ty$moker, here’s a burn pot/hot spot heat diffuser option for you to check out.
View attachment 501180
View attachment 501179
View attachment 501178
It’s the SmokeDaddy 10 gauge steel heat diffuser that’s only $49.00. FYI…. I see that they have an updated one that’s designed for Pit Boss pellet grills now. https://smokedaddyinc.com/product/oem-replacment-heat-diffuser-heavy-duty-10-gauge/
The original one that’s in the pictures needed to be modified due to its height, but the updated one is designed for Pit Boss grills. No more hot spot at the center of the grill now and no creosote buildup on it either going on 1-1/2 years. If you have any questions, just give them a call first before you place an order and ask for Dennis, he’s the owner. Great family owned company as well.

Awesome, thankyou for this! One question I would have, I assume you take out the sliding diffuser and put this in?
I ended up going with the Pro Series Combo unit with propane, and the side burner. So far so good, here's the first brisket I made. 12 hours and used all the bells and whistles on the grill. Set a recipe, and used the meat probe control to shut the grill off, worked flawlessly! And I even put some cheese on the propane side and opened the smoke louver in between. Haven't tried the cheese yet and it got a little melted, but was still solid. I love how much more capacity I have and the versatility. To be able to smoke a brisket on one side and grill some hot dogs and veggies for lunch on the other is awesome. Then to be able to smoke some cheese to?? This is gonna get quite a bit more use than the little traeger did that you see in the photo below!

I would also like to ask what the pipe fitting the photo is? Is that a clean out port that you put in?

Attachments

• 16241757221723085392726351021171.jpg
    16241757221723085392726351021171.jpg
    217.7 KB · Views: 17
  • 20210617_160904.jpg
    20210617_160904.jpg
    186.1 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:
Reactions: RCAlan
RipC1ty$moker, I use both, the Smoke Daddy heat diffuser and the PB flame broiler slider diffuser at the same time. Kinda like having 2 heat diffusers at the same time. I can slide both while bbqing to be able to bbq low and slow and then grill and sear without having to remove anything out of the grill.
The outlet pipe inside my grill that you saw in one of the photos is for my SD Magnum P.I.G. Smoke Generator.
Image.jpeg

Image_1.jpeg

Image_2.jpeg

Image_3.jpeg

In my current setup, I use both a smoke basket and the smoke generator to add tbs charcoal and hardwood smoke to my pellet grill. Many people complain about the lack of any Smoke flavor profile while using their pellet grills. Often times, it’s because the Enduser is trying to bbq at the wrong temps ideal for pellet grills. Low and Slow is always best when using a pellet grill, but sometimes even pellet smoke is not enough. Here’s a link to some great information about adding True Hardwood Smoke to the pellet grill experience. The entire thread is along read.. https://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t...pid-upgrade-for-my-pb-austin-xl.291288/page-5
It was learning process with some bumps along the way. Read postings #90 through #116 when you get the chance.
Now I get all the hardwood and charcoal smoke, just as if I was using a real stick burner, but with the added benefit of being able to Set it and Forget It as well.

Reactions: RipC1ty$moker
Sometimes I just use the controlled pellet crucible to start the charcoal in my veggie basket. The masterbuilt controller allows you to then turn off the controller and when turning back on, keep the fans going for draft. Its not controlling anything but the thermometer
20210629_211154.jpg
remains fully functional.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky