New Pit Boss Model at Walmart

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
The Laredo is bigger and heavier. Pellet grills, by their nature, are really quite wasteful of fuel by actively blowing heat out the stack. It dwarfs what's lost out the walls. So there's a negligible fuel penalty in getting the largest unit you have room for. And the price is the same in this case.
Plus the Laredo mentions stainless steel construction...that sounds pretty attractive at this price point.

Addendum: The Laredo has a 3rd grill the Lowes model didn't...that's probably the 1000 vs 850 sq in difference. The usable volume is probably the same for both.

Last edited:
I've currently got a GMG DB WiFi and have been considering a Rec Tec as it's replacement for several months now so what you read ahead will be largely comparing this Pit Boss 1000, the GMG DB WiFi and the RT-700 & RT-590.

I was considering an RT-700 for a bit and then realized I don't really need that much smoker for my wife & I plus the occasional football party. I started looking towards the RT-590 as it was more along the lines of the size of my current GMG DB WiFi with a few nice upgrades to what I'm currently running. This Pit Boss looks like an even better value and I like the idea of being able to get it locally and then return it if it sucks since Walmart's return policy tends to be very generous.

I like the 30lb hopper capacity on the RT-590 but 26lbs is also a significant upgrade from my current GMG DB that seems to hold a few handfuls of pellets by comparison. In fact, the difference between the RT-590 and 1000 capacity (4lbs) is probably about how much my current smoker holds. lol

One negative I saw with the Rec Tec grills compared to my GMG is that their low temp setting is only 200 degrees. My GMG will go all the way down to 150 which is perfect for kissing some steaks with a little bit of smoke before searing them up. Looks like the bottom end of this 1000 is 180deg and a max of 500deg which is 50ish shy of what my GMG tops out at. Granted, the GMG seems to win in the low to high temp category but this 1000 gets closer than the RT lineup based on specs. To be fair, the RT has an "extreme smoke" setting so perhaps this is closer to that 150-180 range but it's actual low temp isn't listed.

It looks like the external dimensions are ever-so-slightly larger than the RT-590 but that also takes into account the side shelf/burner so it's not really square footage of smoking space. I'd like to see more in terms of dimensions and what not to compare the various options. Walmart external dimensions aren't much to go off of. It looks like it lists the side burner as square footage of "cooking" area so it's hard to say but the above number of 850sq. ft. is probably close. It's more than the 592 of the RT-590 by a fair margin as a comparison.

Walmart site says this 1000 comes with a 5-year warranty which is one more year than the RT-590 so that's another pro for the 1000 over the RT-590.

It also looks like this 1000 comes with a built-in front shelf (?) w/o the need to buy any accessories which would be extra to add to my GMG or a RT smoker. That's a nice bonus IMO. I could be wrong and that's just an angled portion but it looks like a front shelf folded down.

It looks like it has both WiFi and Bluetooth which is interesting. I wonder if it will allow me to connect via WiFi and active it to begin pre-heating while I'm on my way home and not on the same network. That was one glaring omission from my GMG that renders the WiFi next to worthless for my needs. From what I've read from RT-700/590 users on this forum this feature exists on the RT grills which was a major factor of considering them since this seems a simple feature that all smokers should have IMO especially one with more mature (based on time) software like the GMG. If I can get an answer on this I may be willing get one of these 1000's to test out since info so far seems rather limited. I don't even see it on their website as of the time of this post.

It looks like the reviews of the "Smoke IT" app which is used to communicate with this smoker is a solid "meh" at best. The Android version has a rating of 3.2 which isn't solid. As a comparison, the GMG app on the Android store has 5x more reviews and a rating of 3.9 and I haven't been super impressed with that one either. I can imagine that 3.2 by comparison is borderline dumpster fire. That's not good since it's going to be the primary means of interaction.

Somewhat related; I'd like to know actual WiFi specs of all of these smokers too since none of them seem to list this. Some list 2.4Ghz/5.0GHz but even that is rare. I've been buying devices w/WiFi 6 for a while now just biding my time until Ubiquiti releases a solid WiFi 6 Pro AP.

Lots of thinking out loud here so I'd be curious to hear from anyone who has at least seen this in person or (ideally) used it and can compare first-hand to any of the smokers listed above for bonus points.

Reactions: bill1
The Laredo is bigger and heavier. Pellet grills, by their nature, are really quite wasteful of fuel by actively blowing heat out the stack. It dwarfs what's lost out the walls. So there's a negligible fuel penalty in getting the largest unit you have room for. And the price is the same in this case.
Plus the Laredo mentions stainless steel construction...that sounds pretty attractive at this price point.

Addendum: The Laredo has a 3rd grill the Lowes model didn't...that's probably the 1000 vs 850 sq in difference. The usable volume is probably the same for both.
Also, what did you mean by 3rd grill? All I see is the "patented simple slide plate flame broiler" which isn't a side grill at all but a way to slide the heat shield cover in a way that allows for direct flame broiling. Unless I'm missing something I believe them both to have this feature and therefore the indicated square foot difference might be actual smoking space? The external dimensional difference would support this. I wish we had more specifications on this 1000 model as there's lots of questions to be answered.

I sent an email to the app developers to see if I can activate it from a WAN or if it has to be on the same LAN to activate. I'd also like to know how much electricity the thing uses as well as the GMG DB I have now uses quite a bit of electricity at startup and then settles down to a more reasonable level once it's running. That startup sequence though spikes enough that it has tripped that breaker occasionally which is also annoying.

I was initially impressed but I don't like the flame slider. Always has a bad hotspot because the firepot itself doesn't have it's own deflector. OKJ pellet grill has the same problem. They should at least sell a deflector for smoking that you can throw in under the drip pan to sit over the firepot opening. I made my own.

It looks like the Lowe's new Pro series is pretty much the old grills with a new WiFi controller. Also the pull handle to expose the flame is moved to the left side. This should be better than trying to reach under the shelf on the right to open the slider.

The Walmart Platinum looks pretty much like the Lockhart minus the upright smoker cabinet.

The big question is; will someone sell the hopper assemblies for either grill and will the assemblies fit on existing grills like the Austin XL?

The Lowes Pro model does have PID temp control, not the "dumb" timer based controller that they use on almost every single other model. I hope they put the new controller in more models, especially the Copperhead line.

I noticed a discrepancy with the hopper capacity as it says 24lbs in the specs and 20lbs on one of the images. 20% is a rather large discrepancy.

Noticed that. I’m personally not that concerned if it happens to be a 20#.

The Lowes Pro model does have PID temp control, not the "dumb" timer based controller that they use on almost every single other model. I hope they put the new controller in more models, especially the Copperhead line.

Was the first thing I noticed when looking at the site. I wonder when they’ll actually be in stock.

My initial thoughts on pellet grills was to get the Weber, but it’s been a shit show. Since then, I’ve gravitated toward the RT700, but I detest the design aesthetics. Thus, I’m kiiiiinda thinking of a PB.

...It looks like it has both WiFi and Bluetooth which is interesting. I wonder if it will allow me to connect via WiFi and active it to begin pre-heating while I'm on my way home...
I doubt it. Most manufacturers include words to the effect of not leaving your grill unattended. (Although the need to do this brings out pretty strong emotions on this forum.) So the idea of starting it remotely (where the risks of previously unattended grease and oil spills are most likely to cause some fairly dangerous flare ups) doesn't sound like something the legal department would be too keen about.

It would appear that the 'Pro Series' is exclusive to Lowes. Not sure, but the Platinum Laredo 1000 may be exclusive to Wlamart. Both appear to be slightly different (cosmetically) versions of the same functional pellet grill. Prices are almost identical.

Anyone rolled the dice on one of these yet? I see a couple people on Facebook with the new improved Pro model from Lowe's.

I have not had access to them from our local Lowes. The exact day I get an email notification from them that it’s available, I’m going to be picking one up.

I have not had access to them from our local Lowes. The exact day I get an email notification from them that it’s available, I’m going to be picking one up.
Cool. Let us know, please.

The Lowes Pro model does have PID temp control ...
This is the one/only item that would dissuade me from the RT-590 I’ve been ogling for a while as I finish my patio. But I want to see/hear if it really works. The RT590 construction appears superior, and From all accounts, the Rec-teq customer service is top shelf ... I wouldn’t worry about Getting one extra year of potentially lower level of service.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky