New old new guy in Summerville, SC

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

jonrd463

Original poster
Jun 6, 2010
Hi all! Back in about 2010, I started down the path of the backyard pitmaster with a cheap baby Chargriller offset from Walley World, and I joined the forum. I posted a few super newbie posts as I got my feet wet, then eventually switched to an ECB. I didn't post any after that point, but went into lurk mode as I learned how to get the best que of it, and then finally graduated to an 18" WSM which I immediately fell in love with. Got a few good years out of it, but jumped on an opportunity to move from Washington State closer to home in South Carolina.

Unfortunately, I settled into an apartment, so I gifted my WSM to a friend. 3 long years under "no grills" rules, and man I missed that thing! Anyway, I've just closed on a house and I've decided to get myself a GMG Daniel Boone Prime. It'll be delivered this week, and I can't wait to get it burning this weekend.

Figured I'd re-introduce myself and say hello.

Reactions: AUSmokey
Yeah, Carolina barbecue is great! I'm originally from Georgia, but it all blurs together for me after having lived out in the PNW for the better part of 14 years. I actually tried Carolina Gold for the first time not to long ago and I'm sold. I still call Memphis style my favorite, but I've yet to meet a sauce or style I didn't like.

Departed the Pacific North Wet (PNW) back in 2001.
Only found 1 truly great smoked food joint in my day. Cave Man Kitchen in Auburn, (closed now).
Don't know how many start ups since I left.

And MAYBE on the salmon. Most of the smoked salmon in my time out there sucked as it was intended for the commercial market that enjoyed grease. Overcooked and flavorless outside of the salmon fishy.

Many locals know how to low and slow with lots of herbal flavoring to defat and infuse good flavor

Still miss fresh dungeness crab, snapper, and squid.

Hope you're close enough to the coast to enjoy fresh seafood.

Departed the Pacific North Wet (PNW) back in 2001.
Only found 1 truly great smoked food joint in my day. Cave Man Kitchen in Auburn, (closed now).

I worked with a guy whose family owned and operated Caveman Kitchen. Shame it closed, as it was a local favorite of many. Sadly, my only experience there was lackluster. I got the ribs and they were tough and barely edible. I had gone at my co-worker's urging, and when I told him of my experience, he didn't act surprised. Evidently, there was some sort of family rift with the person who was the primary manager of the place cutting corners on quality. While it's unfortunate that they closed due to the history of the place, it's not surprising if my experience was a trend.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky