New MES 30 temp differing by 20 degrees

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

chapterthree

Original poster
Aug 24, 2012
Salinas, CA
Hi All,

Got a MES 30 for Christmas, seasoned it yesterday, doing a small butt today. I'm using my Maverick thermo to see how accurate the built in probe is, and I'm see a consistent temperature difference of about 20 degrees.

Have the smoker set at 225,and I'm about 2 hours in, but the Maverick is showing 205.

Added pictures for my probe placement. Any thoughts on this?

Thanks!

That is pretty much the norm for Masterbuilt electric smokers. Most are off by 20°-25° one way or the other. That's why it's important to have another thermometer to give a truer reading. Looks like you're ahead of the game already. Have fun!

Hmm OK, should I believe the Maverick more than the MES?  :)  I did a ton of reading before starting and most people were reporting that the built in probe was pretty accurate.

Also, I just noticed in my picture my probe wire was resting on the internal probe, and I wonder if the heat from the Maverick wire was heating up the internal probe a little bit, causing it to give a false reading.  I just adjusted things so that the wire isn't resting on the internal probe, let's see if that makes a difference.

[EDIT]: After moving the probe wire and coming back up to temp, didn't seem to change anything, still about 20 degrees off. :(

Last edited:
OK, yeah after this smoke I'm going to calibrate the Maverick to see if she's still reading properly.  Had 'er about a year now, and have used it for ~10 smokes in my offset smoker, and have had good Q come out of that.

And of course, after I posted this and started searching around in the forums, I found plenty of people reporting similar temp differences.  I guess if you look for it you can find anything. :D

Thanks for the help, I'm going to hope that my Maverick is not off in its readings and bump the smoker temp up a bit to get to a true 225.

I have the same issue with my MES 40 . I was in  the same predicament, not knowing which one to trust . I decided to trust the maverick . Later I compared it to Taylor digital thermometer and it was within a couple degrees of the maverick . 

Go with the Maverick

I've found that there can be a 10 degree difference when thermometer is place on different racks. Same as in a home oven. Even where you place the thermometer on same rack can vary by 5 degrees +or- . This is why I smoke with multiple probe thermometers.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky