New MES 30 owner

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

dontdriveangry

Original poster
Feb 28, 2021
Hello all

Recently bought a MES30 20071117. I hope this one is alright and I shouldn’t have tried to source a 20070910.

I have already seasoned it and looking forward to the weekend when I will do some baby back ribs 2-2-1 method.

I am located in Calgary, which is about 3400 feet asl. I saw that people were having difficulties with the amnps tray at high altitudes, so I bought a 12” oval tube model (amnts?). I plan to make another thread in the electric smoker forum about mes30 setups that people have, although I have learned a bit from searching old threads. I have already wrapped the water and drip tray in foil, including foil over the element shield.

My smoking experience is limited to creating foil chip pouches on a propane bbq.

Welcome to smf, congrats on the new smoker, I have a mes 30 and it works great. just watch using the amnps tube in the mes, they can give off to much smoke. Take a look into the mailbox mod ,

Reactions: dontdriveangry
Congrats. I’d recommend picking up a new thermometer, like an inkbird, maverick or thermopro to monitor the smoker temp. Both MES I’ve had, the thermometer on the smoker was way off. Those are good smokers though.

Welcome to smf, congrats on the new smoker, I have a mes 30 and it works great. just watch using the amnps tube in the mes, they can give off to much smoke. Take a look into the mailbox mod ,
Hi,

Thanks for the welcome and the tip regarding the amnps tube. From reading old threads on this forum, I picked up a U-bracket to angle the tube upwards to hopefully slow the burn. I will also try the technique of breaking up the pellets into smaller coarser dust, which according to the thread I read, slows the burn as well. Dave's method I think?

Congrats. I’d recommend picking up a new thermometer, like an inkbird, maverick or thermopro to monitor the smoker temp. Both MES I’ve had, the thermometer on the smoker was way off. Those are good smokers though.

Hi,

Thanks for the welcome. I've been looking at the inkbird IBT-4XS. Seems to be well priced and has the graph feature. I figure the graph might help indicate when the meat has stalled more easily?

D dontdriveangry i don’t use the graph for much honestly. As far as stall you’ll start to learn which meat stalls at what temp and when you can wrap it (if you want) but the thermometer is good to monitor a true smoker temp as well as meat temps especially if your cooking more than one meat

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky