New MES 30 and a 8lb pork butt.

Discussion in 'Pork' started by show, Nov 23, 2013.

1. show

show Newbie

I recently picked up a new MES 30 for a great price and I wanted to fire it up but have been pretty busy lately. I finally seasoned it yesterday then smoked an 8lb pork butt @ 225 for 5 hours to 160 internal temp, I then pulled it foiled it and put it back in the smoker @ 225 for another 4 hours until it was 190.

I used some mesquite chips because it was all I could get so late at night coupled with a rub recipe I found on here along with SoFlaQuer finishing sauce. It came out with a slightly smokier, sweeter flavor. but I must say that coupled with the finishing sauce its delicious you get the sweet and slightly spicy flavor. I didn't get a chance to get more pictures of the cooking/ rub process because my phone died while I was seasoning the smoker. So I have a pre-smoke picture and a picture of it pulled, enjoy the one Qview picture.

Seasoning @ 275, I must say this thing holds temps really well.

First smoke finished and pulled 10.5 hours later. Now I want to smoke everything.

2. flyboys

flyboys Smoking Fanatic

Looks great! It's making me hungry again.
    I know what you mean about smoking everything. Try a fatty next, the meat type that is!

3. geerock

geerock Master of the Pit SMF Premier Member

Hey show, I see you have the older model gen 1 mes. That thing can put out some real good q. Glad you were able to get one instead of the gen2. Best of luck and happy smokin'.

4. redheelerdog

redheelerdog Master of the Pit SMF Premier Member

I have smoked allot with mesquite, I like it on most everything especially butt. Glad it turned out good for you.

Smokem if you gotem!

[​IMG]

5. If you have a Walmart by you they had a nice selection of wood chips. I was able to pickup some cherry, apple, hickory, and mesquite. Each bag cost $3.47 a bag, not bad at all. Just tried Jeff's turkey bacon butter for the office, huge success thanks Jeff.

smokingjamaican likes this.
  6. mcockrell

mcockrell Fire Starter

at my walmart they had a box with cherry, apple, mesquite, and hickory for about $15 if I recall correctly. before I got AMNPS I used this a lot. I don't really care for pure mesquite as it can be mighty pungent on long smokes. but I loved cutting it with apple and/or cherry. esp on butts.

I have an MES 30 as well and this thing is incredible. the only reason I would ever consider getting something else is that you cant fit a whole rack of ribs on there. and you have to get the smaller briskets (9-11 pound) in order to fit the whole thing in there without cutting it up.

the reason I haven't upgraded yet is because I just love this thing so much and im afraid that if I got a new one it wouldn't be as good.