• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

khaas78

Original poster
Nov 7, 2016
Good morning everyone. 

My name is Kris, I'm 38, live in northern Illinois, and I've been smoking for a few years now.

I use a Weber 22.5" Smokey Mountain Smoker, My 22" Weber grill, and I was recently given a small electric smoker that I've used once.  My preferred woods are apple and hickory, depending on what I'm smoking.    Typically i use natural chunk charcoal as a starter, and then use large chunk wood for the balance of my smoking.  I'm smoked a variety of meats, my favorites are pork shoulder and beef brisket.  I also make homemade sausages. 

I've been referencing these forums for years, and finally decided to join up, and start contributing.  I'm looking to take my smoking to the next level, and either build a small smoke shack, or build a larger offset style smoker. 

I'm hosting thanksgiving this year for the first time, and I'm looking at smoking a turducken.  If anybody has any experience with this, I'd love to hear about it.

Thanks everyone. 

Welcome Kris to SMF!  Glad you are here and bringing your experience with you.  You're equipment is VERY familiar!

Can't help with the turducken, but there are a lot of threads.  Use the search feature for turducken and read to your heart's content. 

Have fun!

Ray 

Thanks Al!  That turducken looks great!  17 1/2 hours!? 

So, question time:

How do you set up your charcoal / wood to get a good long burn / smoke?  How many times did you add charcoal / wood over that 17 1/2 hours?  That's one of the major struggles i have with my WSM, If i get too much charcoal /wood in there, my temp goes up too high, not enough, and I'm adding charcoal /wood every hour which makes it really hard to do an overnight smoke.  (And be awake the next day to enjoy the fruit of my labor)

The 40/140 rule is new to me.  But typically i do solid muscle pieces, shoulders or briskets.  I've never done  poultry on the smoker, and especially not a deboned, stuffed, rolled up bird.  So the 40/140 rule is why you used the brine and cure?  Are there any other precautions you should take to avoid bacteria?

Thanks Al.  I hope this is the appropriate place to ask these questions, if I should start a new thread, let me know and I'll do that.  Thanks.

-Kris

Hey Kris,

Don't worry about temps getting too high with poultry.  I like my WSM to run over 300F whenever I smoke roast poultry.  Just did a 16.3 lb turkey and about 12 pounds of roasted veggies this past weekend for an early Thanksgiving with my kids.  Started with a chamber temp of 350F on my Maverick thermometer.  Once I loaded the veggies and the bird the chamber temp dropped to 290F.  Climbed back up to 340F by the time the breast was at 145F internal temp.  I inserted a probe in the thigh and just in the few minutes I had the top off the smoker the chamber temp spiked to 405F by the time I put the top back on (influx of air will stoke the fire).  I let it ride until the coldest part of the bird was 165F.  Total bird cook time was 2 hrs 45 minutes.  Came out beautiful with crispy skin (the kids were fighting over it, and they are all in their 30s now!)

Thanks for the advice Ray! That turkey looks amazing. What is the device the turkey is mounted too?

Thanks for the advice Ray! That turkey looks amazing. What is the device the turkey is mounted too?
It's called a turkey cannon by Camp Chef.  Cost was about $20 on Amazon several years ago.  I just checked and it is the same price.  It is basically a way to beer can a turkey.  The trick to mounting the turkey properly on the cannon is to make sure you cut away the skin and the butt at the opening to the cavity.  I usually tuck the wings under too.  Also, use VERY little liquid in the cannon, just a couple ounces.  It will hold much more but that's a waste and can actually keep the cavity cooler than you want. 

I bought it because I like to roast turkeys free from a pan.  I'm not a spatchcock turkey fan, though many, many are, especially here on the Forum.  I use the cheapest white or rose wine I can find in the cannon.  Pouring the rest in the veggies I roast on the level below the turkey to catch the fat drippings.    

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky