• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

smokin tim

Original poster
Aug 6, 2015
Hello all,

My name is Tim and I live in n.e. Michigan.. I recently purchased an Oklahoma Joe longhorn offset smoker. I think I am really going to like it and am looking forward to getting some good tips from various individuals. I am real "green" at smoking food and need to learn more. I'm having a little trouble keeping a consistent temperature but will work at it. Have a good day....

Welcome from SC, Tim. I know you will enjoy this site. Lots of good folks here who are always eager to share their ideas, tips, recipes or anything else you may need. All you have to do is ask. I assume you are using wood in your cooker. I seem to always get good results with everything open and controlling the heat with the fire. A small hot fire is a good way to go. Just make sure you have a good bed of coals to begin. Royal Oak lump makes an excellent bed of coals and then add splits as you need to. Also, remember you can adjust your cook times, etc. to the heat that you're given. 225* is no longer a magic temp. I cook 260--280* with excellent results. It's meat, not a cake. You can work around it, work with what you're given and enjoy eating your mistakes. It all takes time and it's all fun. Good luck and good smokin', Joe

texas.gif
  Good morning and welcome to the forum, from another hot, day in East Texas and the best site on the web. Lots of great people with tons of information on just about  everything.

Gary

Hello all,

My name is Tim and I live in n.e. Michigan.. I recently purchased an Oklahoma Joe longhorn offset smoker. I think I am really going to like it and am looking forward to getting some good tips from various individuals. I am real "green" at smoking food and need to learn more. I'm having a little trouble keeping a consistent temperature but will work at it. Have a good day....
Howdy from Texas Tim..Welcome to the forums... On my OKJ, I start with a chimney full of lump charcoal....Once coals start to turn white I dump them into the fire box and add a stick of wood (whatever your preference) I keep the exhaust damper open about 2/3 and will maintain a 230-240 degree temp. once the temp starts to fall, add another stick. You can control the heat pretty easily just adjusting the exhaust... more open = higher temp.... Good luck.

For-Q

Last edited:
New guy from rayne louisiana here recently built a file cabinet smoker. Did ribs 3 spatchcock chickens corn and sausage on my first cook and all I can say is I was very lucky it came out awesome except I went through 30 pds of briquetes need to figure my vents but thanks to all the post I went through here I had a good head start thanks

Waylen, you got pics of the file cabinet smoker?
New guy from rayne louisiana here recently built a file cabinet smoker. Did ribs 3 spatchcock chickens corn and sausage on my first cook and all I can say is I was very lucky it came out awesome except I went through 30 pds of briquetes need to figure my vents but thanks to all the post I went through here I had a good head start thanks
Waylen, you got any pics of the file cabinet smoker?

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky