New member looking for bratwurst

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Steelhere1

Original poster
Aug 2, 2021
I know that there are a lot of different bratwurst, but I’m looking for the type that I ate a lot of while in the USAF in Bitburg, Germany during the early 70s. Before it was grilled, it was white in color and the meat texture was very fine. I live in Texas and haven’t been able to find that type anywhere. I probably don’t know what I’m looking for. Any help would be great.

I know that there are a lot of different bratwurst, but I’m looking for the type that I ate a lot of while in the USAF in Bitburg, Germany during the early 70s. Before it was grilled, it was white in color and the meat texture was very fine. I live in Texas and haven’t been able to find that type anywhere. I probably don’t know what I’m looking for. Any help would be great.
First off, welcome to SMF.
Tell me about the texture of the sausage. Couple different types of white German sausage

Edit: Sorry I see this was a fine texture. This is most likely a frankfurter made as a fresh sausage with no cure #1. It is emulsified.
So tell me about what you remember of the seasoning flavor.

Well, white in color and a fine texture could indicate Weisswurst, but it's usually poached and the custom is for it to be made early in the morning and eaten before noon.

First welcome to the Forum from South Carolina’s Thoroughbred Country. I think you are looking for a Bavarian Weisswürste. Weisswürste (“white sausages”) are a specialty from Bavaria short, greyish white sausages made from a mixture of finely minced veal and back bacon stuffed into pork casings generally eaten without the casing, boiled not fried, and found during Oktoberfest. If so, i’ll post some addresses you can purchase these and other German wurst on line along with some recipes I have from Germany.🍻
John

Reactions: jcam222
Good ideas thus far. I'd wager to say it was the local brat. Probably all pork and some dairy for bind giving the white color. The flavor profile of german brats is different than the typical stuff here like Johnsonville. One of the main things is the use of white pepper instead of black. AC Leggs has a nice euro flavor if you are into mixes. Polka's recipe that Jeff posted is on point and also take note about the talk of patties in that thread. I made "brat burgers" a long time before jumping into making sausage. Welcome to SMF.

Welcome from Mississippi! You'll get tons of answers from some great sausage makers here.

Jim

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky