New member from the deep south

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

UrbanCowgill

Original poster
Apr 18, 2020
Hey fellow smokers!
History: I've been doing pork ribs, butts, steaks, chickens and more for family and friends for about 30 years. I love grilling, smoking, frying and cooking in general. I also frequently use a sous-vide and an insta-pot. I love doing steaks in the sous-vide then finishing in cast iron with bacon grease. I recently did some smoked scorpion ghost wings and they were righteous.

I remember going with my daddy in the mid-60s to buy a grill. We came home with a 30" Webber kettle (no longer available to my knowledge). He used that grill until the legs fell off. I guess that got me hooked. He would fire that webber up every Sunday afternoon and have a cocktail while the grill got hot for a t-bone. He eventually got tired of it and was going to chunk it so I took it off for him and had a stainless table made to hold it. I used that grill for years afterwards and finally had to let it go in 2016. It was like saying goodbye to a lifelong friend. They just don't make grills like they used to.

Grills: BGE, Solaire, Webber Kettles, Masterbuilt cabinet smoker, (modded to be electric).
Smokehouse- hand built, 2020

Anyway, I digress, greetings to all. I hope to learn some tips from the forum and make some new friends.

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome from Iowa! Sounds like you have some awesome memories with your dad

Ryan

Thanks to all you folks. I appreciate a warm welcome! If the weather allows I plan on cold smoking some pork breakfast sausage this weekend.

COUNTRY SMOKED SAUSAGE

5lbs........................pork butt
2lbs........................pork fat
Cure #1....................1 tsp
Kosher salt..............5 tsp
Sage, Rubbed..........5 tsp
Crushed red pepper.....4 tsp (I like it spicy)
Soy Protein Concentrate.......................1/4C
Dextrose..................1/2 TB (optional)
Distilled water...........1 C
Grind pork thru large plate
Mix all ingredients listed into the ground pork for 3 to 4 min
Grind again through small plate and stuff into 2 lb cloth bags, tie off with kitchen twine

Refrigerate overnight

Hang in smoker using hickory, maple & cherry pellets. Smoke for about 8 hrs between 50 and 70 degrees F.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky