New member from Houston, Texas

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

malbert

Original poster
Apr 12, 2007
Sugar Land, Texas
Hello everyone. I just picked up a GOSM smoker and I'm looking forward to my first smoke. I have a Hasty Bake charcoal grill which I have used to smoke a few briskets on but I'm thinking that this will be much easier with better results. I also have an inexpensive gas grill for quick meals.

I'm looking forward to picking up some good advice and information from this site!!!

Welcome to the forum Malbert glad you joined us. Check out the free 5 day e-course lots of great info there.

Welcome, welcome! Glad you found us.

Check out the propane smoker section of the forum. You are sure to find info that will be helpful. Don't forget to sign up for the 5-day ecourse. Very helpful

Take care, have fun, and do good!

Regards,

Meowey

You found the right spot Malbert. Great people with TONS of knowledge. I think these people have done & seen it all. Any questions you got let us know, willing to help anytime.

Nice to meat yâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]all! Iâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]ve been lurking for some time and before yâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]all start joking, Iâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]m not originally from Texas, but I got here as soon as I could. Iâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]m an Oregonian and grew up smoking salmon and steelhead, not to mention Jerky, Elk, venison and beef. I got into making sausage about ten years ago and have been making corned beef, bacon and ham for a couple of years now. I love dry brined and box cured anything, and I have about stopped pickling pretty much altogether. I make my own Instacure (s) from kosher salt, sodium nitrite, and red food coloring. (Blue if Iâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]m adding potassium nitrate to make Instacure 2). Chemistry is an interest and beer brewing, pyrotechnics and distilling are old hobbies. I stopped drinking a while back and after 9-11 the damn government has put a serious crimp in hobby fireworks, so that leaves meat curing as my current primary passion. Most of my smoking is done in a Texas style vertical smoker with a gas burner and an iron spider to hold wood chips. I have used “real fire†before, but I have a hard time controlling the temperature that way. I also have a 1952 Frigidaire metal sided refrigerator Iâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]m converting to a smoker with a remote firebox, but that project isnâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t completed as yet. I used to do a lot of canning too, mostly smoked salmon and regular vegetables, pickles and the like but there are no salmon or cheap fresh vegetables here in Houston. Iâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]ve always liked food prep and doing anything from scratch. But enoughf history, Iâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]m going to try making some Canadian bacon (piecemeal?) from some loin I bought at the HEB yesterday. I though I would use my standard dry brine bacon formula and add some bay leaf. Normally I horse my bacon (and jerky) but this loin is pretty big so I though Iâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]d try rubbing it down and sealing in a vacuum bag for a couple of week in the fridge to cure. I was reading on here where somebody was doing that? Never tried it before but it sounds like a good idea. Also from what I read in “The Sausage Maker†(my bible) Canadian bacon isnâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t smoked, but it sounds like most of yâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]all are treating it just like “belly bacon†and running it through the smoker? Also yâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]all seem to be getting it pretty toasty at 145-160 internal temp? Iâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]ve been cold smoking my regular bacon at less than 120 and relying on the frying pan to cook it. Am I doing something wrong there? It taste good to most everyone that way. Iâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]d welcome any tips yâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]all can give me, it will be a couple of weeks before this loin will be ready to smoke, or not? Somebody clue me in here will ya? And good to get to know y'all,
Navionjim

Welcome Malbert -

I think you'll be happy with that GOSM lots of folks here got em! If yo have any questons ask away we'll do our best to help!

Welcome Navionjim -
You need to post this in the Roll call section so everyone will come and great you properly. Those that have posted already might miss this.

Sounds like you've been preparing food on many levels. That's great - lots of experiance is good. You may get some questions here as well with summer coming.

As far as Canadian bacon goes we pretty much smoke EVERYTHING here! LOL Folks are coming up with new ideas by the minute.

I am also a brewer we have a few other here as well. I can't believe your not using that 1952 Frigidaire metal sided refrigerator for a kegerator! SUue would be a beauty! Did it run at all?

Nothing wrong with cold smoking bacon - Dacdots does a gorgeous cold smoked bacon. Most of us making bacon are doing it for the first time and trying new tricks. There is something to be said about the old ways!

If you go to the Bacon section you'll find more stuff than you probably want to know about all kinds of bacon!

Again - Welcome.
biggrin.gif

Hi and welcome ... the term you are refering to for Canadian bacon is peameal or what we call back bacon. Peameal bacon, refers to a specific variety of unsmoked lean bacon that has been sweet pickle-cured and coated in yellow cornmeal. We typically slice it and fry gently in a pan.
Hope I was of some help to you.

Howdy Debi and thanks for the warm welcome, As a matter of fact the old fridge was a kegerator before I built a thermostatically controlled "Grandma's" chest type freezer (now cooler) with eight taps and a beer engine mounted on the flat top. I was really into Burton style Ales and did some work with Rogue Ale in Newport Ore. After moving to TX I found little admiration for true ales down here. I can understand that because it's hot as the back porch of hell and most people drink Miller lite or some other such watery crap. Liquor is the drink for effect here and I got into distilling to supply the locals. Got pretty good at that, too good, and it got on top of me. I had to stop drinking altogether which has been good for me but I miss the acclaim I one held in the brewing industry and beer in general. Still life has other challenges and meat curing, sausage making and smoking all of it has replaced my earlier hobby. I still have all my equipment, a 1/2 barrel progressive RIMS system I designed myself and all the corn cans, cooler, beer engines, etc. But I'm not drinking today so it just sits in the garage now. Let me know if you want some cool high tech equipment, I'd make you a good price on all that stuff. The old fridge from 1952 does in fact still run! They don't build stuff like that anymore. But I need a bigger smoker than what I have now, just like my brew house, as soon as you scale up, it's time for something bigger.
Navionjiom

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky