New member from Central Oregon

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Waldheri5

Original poster
Apr 20, 2020
Central Oregon
Greetings fellow smokers!
From Central Oregon where we're known for beer (damn good beer) and not BBQ. 33. Married 6 years in July with 2 boys. Aged 3.5 and 8 months. Never had a smoker before. Or even much of a grill. Used a small charcoal grill when first married, but now I have to provide food for 3 (and soon to be 4) it's way to small. And got a rusted out grill as a "I'm moving, you don't have one, and I'm not taking it with me. Needs a little help to work right."

Decided a smoker was in order for quarantine. Wanted something that would both smoke and grill, but also vertical for footprint to space ratio. Wanted something off grid as well which was pretty limiting. Ended up getting a Masterbuilt 230s propane smoker which seemed to be a great base for an amazing experience. So far (had one smoke) my wife was agreed it was a good idea. She loves ribs and often gets them from a local joint. Told me they were better than them and that's usually fighting words around here. So I gave myself a pat on the back and the wallet. Since they are a special occasion kind of meal.

Planning a few upgrades since I'm a tinkerer and a diyer. Thanks to a few users (can't remember names or I'd give nods). I've decided to PID. Going to insulate the outside for winter use to cut down on propane usage. Added a cast iron pan already for the chip box and thinking about adding an amazen box. Read a lot about having to add more chips constantly with gas. Which would cut down on dive time at the lake. Either I did it wrong or Prometheus graced me, but added a bit of chips and some chunks then soaked with hard cider til it quit soaking in and had hot coals 3 hours later. Ended up starting the evening fire with them.

ON the PID I have a few questions. I'm looking at adding solar and a battery for power down the road. I haven't looked at the load, but I don't think it will be much for the controller and solenoid. Has anyone done this yet? Either pellet or gas? I think the scale for electric would be way overkill.

Waldheri

Welcome! I started on a masterbuilt propane too. Loved that thing and although it doesn’t get much use now, I know that I can set it and forget it mostly without a PID. I eventually moved to chunks in it.

Enjoy the ride!

Thanks everyone.

JCAP I'm going to play with it and see if it'll play nice. Ordered a needle valve and new thermometer. Noticed mine was off significantly and wanted more tick marks. Found one that is 50-800. Figure on the low end I can do cold smoke. Not that I plan on running the burner.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky