New Maverick ET-733 Question About Smoker Temperature Probe Setup

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Putting your sensor in the metal clip is fine, unless the tip of the sensor is touching the metal. If the tip is touching metal, bone, or other heat conducting surfaces then you will get a reading on whatever the tip of the sensor is touching.

The problem I usually have with using the provided clips is that the clip doesn't work with the racks in my smoker. to resolve this I have a couple small pieces of wood that I have drilled out for the probe to slide in. I then put the piece of wood on the rack.
What kind of smoker do you own? I own a MES 30 Gen 1 and the clips work fine with the racks. Perhaps the ET-733 was designed for racks with bars or rods (or whatever they're called) that are fairly close together. The clip keeps the BARBECUE probe above the rack without touching it.

What kind of smoker do you own? I own a MES 30 Gen 1 and the clips work fine with the racks. Perhaps the ET-733 was designed for racks with bars or rods (or whatever they're called) that are fairly close together. The clip keeps the BARBECUE probe above the rack without touching it.

You are correct about the design of the clip. It is the same clip used with the other Mavs, and the iGrill products. I own a GOSM, UDS, 4 mini-WSM's. The spacing of the bars on the grates for all of these is too big for the clip. Also I use Q-Mats often which covers up the bars. With the exception of the GOSM they all have weber cooking grates.

You are correct about the design of the clip. It is the same clip used with the other Mavs, and the iGrill products. I own a GOSM, UDS, 4 mini-WSM's. The spacing of the bars on the grates for all of these is too big for the clip. Also I use Q-Mats often which covers up the bars. With the exception of the GOSM they all have weber cooking grates.
You brought up a good point about the Q-Matz. I have them but haven't used them yet. I hadn't thought they'd cover up the bars. I  bought them for cold smoking cheese, anyway.

You brought up a good point about the Q-Matz. I have them but haven't used them yet. I hadn't thought they'd cover up the bars. I  bought them for cold smoking cheese, anyway.
The Qmatz are great for one pound smoked mini meatloaves.
-Kurt

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky