new masterbuilt,

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

ratboy5000

Original poster
Feb 4, 2013
Southern Oregon
hello, I just got a new 30' masterbuilt electric smoker. I put my sweet rub a pork loin roast weighing apx 6 lbs there was 2 of them. I preheatet the smoker with water and apple chips. it took about 10 to 15 min to get to temp. 225- 275 I also smoked a cabbage. My question for everybody is. all my meat was suprizingly over cooked in 3 hrs. and i had no smoke ring pleant of smoke flavor.. is this normal for electris smokers to cook in half the time?  please get back with me.. this  weekend I will be trying  some chunk of beef.

I need to figure this out before I ruin something..

Had the same concern with my MES 40. Turned out that mine was cooking much hotter that the display indicated. I think you will find many people strongly suggesting that you not trust the display till you have calibrated your smoker. That involves using a separate prob you trust and seeing what the actual internal temperature of your smoker is.

Thank you for the info, I am new to the electric smoker thing. I think the error was all mine. I preset the temp to 225 and then brought it up to 265. I noticed when I added the meat the temp dropped under 225 so I reset it. then the temp dropped again when I added the cabbage. Once again I turned it up. It didn't seem right to me that I would have to do this. I did it anyway, I will check my unit for corect temp.

Happy cooking..

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky