New mailbox mod with AMNPS

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

andycaree

Fire Starter
Original poster
Mar 30, 2020
Hey all. So I have an MES 30. I got an AMNPS maze and today built a mailbox mod. I did a test run with no meat to see how long Id get smoke for. I had the tray full. Did all the steps before hand to get the pellets lit correctly.
I was pleased to see it smoke consistently for about 3.5 hrs. They burned one full lane. Problem is when the pellets turned the corner they went out. Do you all think that would be an airflow issue?

The only holes in the mailbox are the ones on the bottom used for mounting, and the small gap at the bottom of the door.

I could easily just fill two lanes, light them from both sides and probably get 5 hrs of smoke which I think would be sufficient for butts and brisket.

Regarding the pellets going out at the corners, I would consider beefing up the corners with extra pellets. For some, this has worked well for them.

Do you have pics of the mailbox setup?

Reactions: GATOR240
Regarding the pellets going out at the corners, I would consider beefing up the corners with extra pellets. For some, this has worked well for them.

No pics yet. Beefing up the corners sounds like a good idea. Thanks

I make sure they are packed full on the corners, seems to work great. If they burned for that long it may not me an air issue. I added a few small holes to mine, put a piece of tape over the sides where the wind blows that day. As you use it more, you will fine tune it to what ends up working best for you.

I make sure they are packed full on the corners, seems to work great. If they burned for that long it may not me an air issue. I added a few small holes to mine, put a piece of tape over the sides where the wind blows that day. As you use it more, you will fine tune it to what ends up working best for you.
Awesome, thanks. Do you guys feel that the smoke flavor from the pellets is strong in the meat like chips are?

Hi there and welcome!
Also do you microwave your pellets to remove unseen humidity? This is a huge improvement in reliability that the pellets will behave... except 100% cherry pellets, cherry just doesn't like to burn alone.

Microwave for 1min 20sec, remove and stir around good after 2 minutes , add back to microwave and nuke for 1min 20sec again. Pellets should burn way more reliably.

It also may not hurt to drill a whole or 2 for more airflow. If its not workign well u just cover up with some metal flue tape so no harm :)

I hope this helps.

Reactions: Brokenhandle
I have two, 1/2 inch holes drilled in at bottom of door to help with airflow. But as mentioned... cherry pellets don't like to burn by themselves. And yes, make sure corners are filled up. Some also use bolts or some type of spacers to raise amnps up to allow for better airflow.

Ryan

Is your maze sitting on the bottom of the M.B. If it is try placing 4 5/8ths" under it one in each corner of the maze to give a bigger air gap under it. You can use rocks or a Ball jar lid, anything to lift it off the bottom of the box. Nuke your pellets for a minute or two will help as well or dry them in the over at 200* for 5-10 minutes on a cookie sheet.

Welcome! I also use the tray and have had the same problem in the past. I just beef up the corners a bit more (I use dust though) and haven't had any problems since.

Like mentioned beef up your corners , raise up your tray a little, drill some holes in the mailbox door, make sure your top vent is wide open.

Different shaped mail box's might need different mods, so I would still like to see the OP's setup.

Reactions: tallbm
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky