• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

New in Milwaukee, WI

misterq

Joined Jan 1, 2017
My intro here.  Although I have an awesome gas grill and have made some pretty good barbeque with some smoke, I am looking into a smoker for my ribs and brisket.  Being in the north and not being one who wants to stay up all night long feeding a fire, I am looking to see what people like better, propane or electric.

mike5051

Master of the Pit
SMF Premier Member
Joined Feb 7, 2015
Welcome to the forum!  I love my Weber Smokey Mountain.  I can smoke for 12 plus hours with one load of charcoal.  Overnight smokes are not a problem.

Mike

klutzyspuds

Meat Mopper
Joined Jan 13, 2013
Q,

I also want to welcome you to the Forums, also from a WI guy.

As for gas vs electric I have both. The gas is a lot more finicky and requires a little more patience and monitoring. The Masterbuilt 30 or 40 (mine) is a nice set it and forget it tool.

That being said, I like the MES for colder weather and colder smokes like sausage, but much prefer the gas for the higher temp stuff like pulled pork and ribs. The gas is much more sensitive to wind if you don't have a way to block the wind.

As for a one smoker for all occasions I would recommend the MES 30. Good reliable, inexpensive starter unit. And easily set up for cold smoking.

Hope this helps. Good luck

Mark

SmokinAl

SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster
Staff member
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Jun 22, 2009
Welcome to SMF!

Glad to have you with us!

I vote for WSM 22.5.

Better flavor than gas or electric & holds rock solid temps for hours.

Al

gary s

SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster
OTBS Member
Joined Jan 6, 2011
  Good afternoon and welcome to the forum from a cloudy and windy day here in East Texas, and the best site on the web. Lots of        great people with tons of information on just about everything.

Gary

Hot Threads

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.