• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

New In Iowa

b-riddy

Joined Nov 6, 2016
Hello Everyone,

I am joining the forum looking for some insight from people who have experience building their own smokers. Particularly old fridge conversions. I have a great old IH that I'm starting to gut. Here is the deal. I can't decide to go electric or charcoal with a side firebox. Either way I would like some sort of PID temperature control.
What and why would you reccomend?

A little background about me. I'm a lump charcoal guy, for grilling, smoking, whatever. I just like the way it cooks. I have a Menards knock off steel egg, Char-Griller Akorn I think. I love my grill/smoker but she is showing her age and starting to rust bad on the bottom. I was considering purchasing a Green Egg if I could stomach the price tag this spring.
BOOM
Out of nowhere I get this IH Fridge for free. So now here I am thinking I can build a sweet custom smoker for way cheaper than an Egg.

Well enough of my ramblings,

Thanks!

Blake

SmokinAl

SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster
Staff member
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Jun 22, 2009
Welcome to the forum Blake!

Glad to have you aboard!

Al

Hot Threads

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.