new here

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

jak

Original poster
Jul 22, 2006
Waipahu, Hawaii
Hello: my name is jak, I'm from Hawaii, I have a Char-Broil-smoker with firebox from Home Depot and smoke meat once a month, we don't have the variety of wood for smoking like you folks' have, mesquite, guava, mango is what we use. Pretty soon we are going too smoke wild boar that we caught in our trap. Thank you.

Aloha, Jak!

Welcome to our friendly family of like minded smokers! I do believe there may be a bit of info on wild boar in the "Wild Game" section of our forum. Please, share with us your experiences both good and not so good. We all look forward to your posts and for goodness sake please try to post some pictures of that wild boar smoke!
Welcome new friend!
Cheers!
Monty

Hello Monty; Thanks' for the invite too this forum, I'm new here so i got too figure all this out, the pig we got is small (30) lbs so we going too fatten it a little more before we do it, getting ready too sleep up the mtns tonight, made a 16'x35' shack up there with tv, bthrm, lights, we have 2 horses, again thanks.

Hello Noah, haven't heard anybody using wood, but, i'll go find out and let you know, take care.

Sounds like you have it all together, Jak! Thanks for coming here to share with us and we all look forward to your posts! Enjoy your time at camp! And feed that little piggy well!
Cheers!
Monty

Hi jak, Welcome to SMF.. I also have the home depot special "Char broiler" .. works well for me but at times I wish I had a larger smoker. Wecome aboard and take many pics.

Joe

Aloha jak, Glad to have you here on SMF. Looking forward to your posts on the forum.

welcome jak!!

a good friend of mine lives and smokes in hawaii.

i think he will order a lot of his wood online, witch he said is a little more pricey then it should be but you get an excellent choice of wood.

you will usually buy it in 8lb bags....its not hard to find, its how i get my apple......

you can use it as a blend to your woods to create a one of a kind taste

also just to keep in the back of your mind i use the same smoker now. have had it over a year and have learned to master mine for the most part. feel free to ask me any questions you can come up with. i can share with you what i know and you can adapt your style if something fits

Aloha, Jak. I'm new as well, but welcome. It should be nice to get some first hand tips on the "exotic" smokes of The Islands. PLEASE post pics of the Wild Boar smoke, if you can. Have a safe camp, keep an eye to the Southeast on Tropical Storm Daniel...

Hello everybody, thanks for the invites too your forum, Buzzard, does' your friend live on Oahu, if he does' maybe i can connect up with him, i tried the minion method and it worked good for me, Noah, the Samoans use the dried coconut husks for their fuel when the cook the meat in the ground. I have too figure out on using camera and send any pictures' in the future, also i got too remember the time differences from here too where you folks' are, take care , aloha

yes he does live in oahu, i believe it is spelled koneoe bay. i can get a hold of him and give him your email addy or send you his. im sure he would be interested in communicating with you. its always good to share and learn new knowledge.

hello buzzard, read about your comment on the peach wood, also on the pineapple, i can get access too a lot of pineapple skins from the cannery, i'll let you know how the meat comes' out next time i use the smoker. also, you can send your friend my email address.

I'm wondering if you let the pineapple skins dry a bit, would you get more smoke than if you used fresh skins??

Jak, i sent you an private message. look for it

dutch, i would think yes, wouldnt you? the question is how long do you let them dry. im guessing a few days. im not really sure whyim thinking that way i guess from my limited knowledge it just makes since. no wait i have a food dehydrator......hhuummm pineapple rine jerky

Buzz, Your cracking me up. I'm thinking it would be kind of spiney going down unless you chewed it up real well!!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky